36g bowfront and 10g stands?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ayi

Aquarium Advice FINatic
This is the layout I'm going to be following
HOW TO: Build an Aquarium Stand/Canopy 1/3 - YouTube

This will be the first thing I've ever built (I'm only 13) and unsure of what kind of 2x4's to get. I will be putting plywood on the top and bottom of the frame so it will look better. And at the end do I just paint it since i want it black? Will the paint make the stand itself waterproof?

Thank you!

P.S. Sorry for all of the questions and long video.:lol:

This is the layout I'm going to be following
HOW TO: Build an Aquarium Stand/Canopy 1/3 - YouTube

This will be the first thing I've ever built (I'm only 13) and unsure of what kind of 2x4's to get. I will be putting plywood on the top and bottom of the frame so it will look better. And at the end do I just paint it since i want it black? Will the paint make the stand itself waterproof?

Thank you!

P.S. Sorry for all of the questions and long video.:lol:

Its best to get pressure treated wood because it wont hold moisture. Yellawood sells some great pressure treated wood. Yes you can paint it all. Paint doesnt make anything waterproof. If this is your first build then take your time and measure twice. Remember you can only cut 1 time. Other than that just post progress pics for us diy fans

I would and have used kiln dried lumber as it is more stable and won't warp after assembly. Pressure treated wood has strong chemicals and is not intended for indoor use.

Last edited:
I would and have used kiln dried lumber as it is more stable and won't warp after assembly. Pressure treated wood has strong chemicals and is not intended for indoor use.

Will kiln dried absorb any moisture? And what kind of ply wood should I get for the top and sides?

Will kiln dried absorb any moisture? And what kind of ply wood should I get for the top and sides?

Most any plywood will do but dont get particle board. I think 1/2 inch thick plywood is perfect and the kiln should absorb moisture

Most any plywood will do but dont get particle board. I think 1/2 inch thick plywood is perfect and the kiln should absorb moisture

If it absorbs moisture wouldn't it warp? Correct me if I'm wrong.

I wouldn't worry about the wood absorbing water unless you have a very leaky tank, except for strand board or particle board. It shouldn't warp especially if its sealed or painted.

I wouldn't worry about the wood absorbing water unless you have a very leaky tank, except for strand board or particle board. It shouldn't warp especially if its sealed or painted.

I got "premium" 2x4's and measured everything out today. I have to wait for my cousin to cut them though...

Back
Top Bottom