3D rock back ground

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sjjennings13

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have all the supplys to make a 3D rock background in my 55 gallon African Cichlid tank but all wideos i fing and directions i find about installing it has you glueing it to the back glass. Does anyone know how i could install it with out having to glue it in. I like to change the look of my tank every so often. want a 3D background but i dont want it permanet.

Just make the panels tight enough so that they stay put by pressuring each other.

I was just reading something about using strong magnets. Though it didn't really say HOW they had used them. I would assume they just glued them to the back of the background and stuck another on the outside of the tank to hold it.

You can usually get some pretty powerful magnets at the hardware store for a few bucks.

if you use Rare earth, ie Neodynium, all youll need is a very, very few small ones. ones half the size of a dime can hold ten pounds if that gives you any ideals :)

If you're going to build it out of styro, then you could make holes in the background and fill with your substrate or gravel to weigh it down

I have one of them, not sure i am going to use it though (It came with the tank) and it has been cut so that it is held in place by itself.

It's just cut so it is held tight around the sides and trim of the tank, here's the only photo i have.

It's 4 pieces, 2 small 2 large.

I'm in the process of finishing mine. From my experience using silicone, it comes off glass very easy. I'm on the other end of the spectrum, I'm concerned mine will be so buoyant, the silicone won't hold it down.

I'm in the process of finishing mine. From my experience using silicone, it comes off glass very easy. I'm on the other end of the spectrum, I'm concerned mine will be so buoyant, the silicone won't hold it down.

Are you cement coating it? Couldn't you just make holes in it and pour the mix in the holes to fill the void and maybe that would work to hold it down..

Back
Top Bottom