55g canopy build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Lol I don't know why I didn't think of that. I just bought one at lowes and the bits I needed.

Probably could've gotten it way cheaper on craigslist.. but I got one, that's all that matters. It's insanely easy to use, too.

Got the sides on. It's not perfectly straight :( I think it will still work though.

apdwly.jpg

rupd2g.jpg

2cmwxhj.jpg

Looks good from my living room.
I can't tell any mistakes. Take it as a learning experience and make the next one better.

Thanks! It's nothing too critical, just a little wobble when set down flat on the floor. I'm still quite proud of it thus far! :-D

Looking good so far.. what are your plans for lighting?

Thanks. I have a 4 bulb t5 fixture that's currently on my tank with the legs attached.

I'm going to put some 1x2's on the inside of the canopy to hold this light about 4 inches above the water.

Then I might make a little shelf in there for fish food or something with the extra 8 or so inches above the light.

Just tested it. Canopy fits perfectly on top of my aquarium and the lights fit perfectly inside of the canopy!!!

Wow, was not expecting that.

You're supposed to say you built it that way intentionally.

You're supposed to say you built it that way intentionally.

:D It is how I intended, just not what I expected. I fully expected to come up like a half an inch short, just because that's how I do things. Good intentions, bad outcome.

Lucked out on this one! :cool:

Got the back on today. I purposely left space at the bottom for my return tubes and hob overflow box. Tomorrow I'll do the doors and the top. Tonight I'm going to do lots and lots of sanding to make things even.

ouwivt.jpg

29g0v7m.jpg

Rofl I just looked at canopies on google images. most are like 6 inches high. Mine's like 18" high

i guess i'll have a unique looking tank loll

scottayy said:
Got the back on today. I purposely left space at the bottom for my return tubes and hob overflow box. Tomorrow I'll do the doors and the top. Tonight I'm going to do lots and lots of sanding to make things even.

If you're wanting to flush up the pieces on the front face for a "smooth" look, you can screw some pieces of wood vertically through the back of each piece of the horizontal front face. That should flush up the long edges of the front with each other to cut down on sanding.

That's a mouthful of nonsense but I'm hoping you understand.

Yes, I understand what you're saying. That's the back so I don't really care what it looks like.. but, I'll probably do that anyways to give it some stability.

True, don't rush it. I've been working on my stand for the past week. A couple hours here and there. Here a few pic of what I've done so far.

Don't laugh as this is my first DIY with wood :hide:

img_1562008_0_359cd01cdf38dba051c4227837483947.jpg

img_1562008_1_4c4c67934164d7aed2c6e42466edd7bf.jpg

img_1562008_2_23d3179f379fea39f65067b4b38f9fe4.jpg

My plan is to build the stand, setup the tank, start the fish less cycle and work on the canopy.
Will you be using any type of trims?

i do not know about your design because it doesnt appear to be strong enough. with a little modification you sould be good. the top and bottom frame are only attached by using screws and there is no wood between them. over time the weight of the tank can bend the screws and the tank would not be level. what you should do is cut wood and put between the top and bottom frame for proper support. just trying to help you out because i dont want you to have the stand up for a month and figure it has held up so far it will hold up forever and then sometime down the road you come home to fishes on the floor.

Attachments

• stand1 copy.jpg
    stand1 copy.jpg
    173.4 KB · Views: 82
The top and botom frames do not hold any weight in his set up. The tank sits on the vertical boards inside of the frames.

Thanks for the concern. The tank is supported by 8 2x4 and the top and bottom frame is on the outside so I can have more of a "I" look to it.

img_1565574_0_091c42e10f7ed83fc726c586c3a8b6d3.jpg

Well, no photos but I have the top and doors cut. Along with the lighting "brackets" on the inside.

Just have to use the router on the door wood, screw them together, and hinge them on. Then screw the top on. Then sand and then stain.

I'll post some pictures tomorrow when I get the doors on. I am out of screws.

I'm definitely following you on this. Starting tomorrow I am building a canopy from scratch. But I am only going to create a heavily reinforced platform to attach to my current stand to add 4 inches in height. Yours looks amazing. Great job!

Back
Top Bottom