Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-12-2010, 02:17 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

so this hole goes in the return plumbing inside the DT right below the water line? and how will it gain syphon back once power is back on

Old 03-12-2010, 02:51 PM   #12
AA Team Emeritus

I think people are using confusing terminology in this thread .... lets see if I can clear this up:

You do not drill holes in the lines from the tank to the sump. in a HOB overflow, this line needs to maintain siphon & normally should never be empty (between the 2 boxes of the overflow.)

The return line people are talking about goes from the sump to the tank. This line is driven by the pump, so has no need to maintain siphon. Normally, you drill 1 (or 2, or 3) very small hole so the majority of the water from the pump goes through the normal outlet (the least resistance).

When the power goes out, water will drain down both sides. From the overflow box side, the water will drain to the level of the bottom of the rakers. In the pump side, it will drain to the holes. Basically, you need to have room in the sump to take in all the water that will drain to whichever level is lower.

Old 03-12-2010, 02:55 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsoong View Post
I think people are using confusing terminology in this thread .... lets see if I can clear this up:

You do not drill holes in the lines from the tank to the sump. in a HOB overflow, this line needs to maintain siphon & normally should never be empty (between the 2 boxes of the overflow.)

The return line people are talking about goes from the sump to the tank. This line is driven by the pump, so has no need to maintain siphon. Normally, you drill 1 (or 2, or 3) very small hole so the majority of the water from the pump goes through the normal outlet (the least resistance).

When the power goes out, water will drain down both sides. From the overflow box side, the water will drain to the level of the bottom of the rakers. In the pump side, it will drain to the holes. Basically, you need to have room in the sump to take in all the water that will drain to whichever level is lower.
so basically if my overflow is one inch below water i should have the drilled hole in the return one in below also?
Old 03-12-2010, 08:35 PM   #14
AA Team Emeritus

The overflow has a min tank water level. (on some models this is adjustable). This is the level the tank water will drop to if the return pump is off (and there is no siphoning in the return pump line.) Usually, this is at the bottom of the raker teeth.

When the pump is running, the water level is a bit higher than this min level (the thickness depends on your pump flow rate & the overflow box size.) If you drill the holes between the working tank level & the min tank level, water will never go below the minimum tank water level from siphoning of the return line, and there will be no splashing of water when the pump is on as the holes are under water with the pump running.
Old 03-13-2010, 02:12 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

still confused....
Old 03-13-2010, 04:16 PM   #16
AA Team Emeritus

Let try a picture.

In the pic, the blue line is your tank to sump line, red being the overflow box. Green is the return line from your sump to your tank.

When the green line is closed (pump off, line not siphoning), water will drain down to the dark blue line. This level is determined by your overflow box. During use, the water level rises to enter into the overflow (light blue). You want your holes in the green return line between those 2 levels.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	OF.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	22.3 KB
ID:	22967  
Old 03-13-2010, 05:27 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

thank you so much lol i get it now!!! you sir or madam get rep

Tags
flow, sump

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com