Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-25-2011, 01:15 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

cool thats good to know.

i saw a youtube vid of a guy saying he had to build another overflow because he wasnt getting enough flow. that vid is probably what has sparked my doubt.

you know how it goes, it only takes that one to ruin it for the rest.

Overflows - YouTube

Old 09-26-2011, 09:33 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice FINatic

POTM Champion

Send a message via AIM to mrbee2828 Send a message via Yahoo to mrbee2828
To your original question about buying or building, you should make that decision based on your wallet and your time. I think you can get the flow you desire in either choice with the right setup. Also, the PVC one will probably be louder than the box you're looking at. I don't know this for a fact, just from what I have read on the web about other builds.

I'll throw in a comment as a recent DIYer and some lessons learned. I'm still in the process of refining mine or trying to make some rework decisions. This is just from my POV so take it with a grain of salt. I have a video and some other stuff as well as a overflow thread here in this section. Benjamin's 55g Malawi Cichlid Build I had a check valve leaking air whihc was killing one of my intakes too... another headache with DIY.

The thing I dislike most about my setup right now is trying to constantly match my overflow and my return. I'm always adjusting the dang valves trying to evenly match them and keep the water level in the sump above the pump intake as well as keep the water in the main tank high enough to quite the overflow. Because of my box design in the tank and the small design of the sump it's battle. Most likely my design flaw.

However, if I do turn off the valves to do anything, I have to adjust everything all over again. If I redid it I think I would do 2 vavles. 1 to act as a restriction to tweak my flow and the other as a straight on and off. That way I'm not trying to find that sweet spot forever after maintenance.

The other thing is where you want your water line and how much space you have in your sump. When the power cuts off you need space for the water from the return overflow PLUS the water in the pipes to fit in the sump. Again, with my design there isn't a whole lot of room for error. It's right at the rim when the power cuts out. This is also something I'm going to try and adjust by lowering my overflow edge and being able to lower the water in my tank some.

Old 09-26-2011, 04:27 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

freshwater to 75 gallon saltwater reef with fish evolution.

scroll down to post 1554

thats what ive come up with. its basically a mess of alot of different ideals.

mrbee i ran accross your thread when i was searching for everything. what kind of flow are you getting through your twin setup?
Old 09-26-2011, 04:38 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice FINatic

POTM Champion

I honestly don't know but I think it's too much for the tank. I upgraded to a 1,300gph pump and I have a 5' 3/4" PVC pipe going up the back. That is fully opened with another hitting the refugium side just barely cracked open to divert a bit. I have my overflow cranked down about 1/4 of the way to what it could be doing. I honestly don't know how to measure it. I know the bubbles, plants and fish are getting a work out though I should do a video of it soon.
Old 09-26-2011, 05:54 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

man im getting a lot of conflicting stories and reports on how much flow people are getting.
Old 09-27-2011, 12:56 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

diy overflows - Oscarfishlover.com
Overflow Drain Calculator - .::AquariumPros.ca::.
DIY Overflow 101 - YouTube
DIY Overflow Box (DIY OVERFLOW PROJECTS)
DIY Sump and overflow Part 2 - YouTube

these are some inforitive links that i have found or that where shared with me. something that i never knew about is leaner overflow. its an interesting argument if you want to look it up.

im incorporating a 3" reducer on mine because of it.
Old 09-29-2011, 01:37 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

k so i just did some testing in the bathtub. through my 1" pvc diy overflow i am getting 360 gph. any suggestions?
Old 09-29-2011, 02:49 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice FINatic

POTM Champion

What's the leaner overflow? I don't really have the time to watch both but the 2nd one was starting to make me sick anyway lol. Got a link? Google isn't turning anything up.
Old 09-29-2011, 02:57 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

Linear overflow. Like how yours is set up with the big tube cut in half. That ledge that water flows over before it gets to your siphon tubes is the linear overflow. I'm on my phone until I get off work but if you have more questions I'll try to post a link to a better explanation than I can give. Some how it makes a difference in flow rate. If you've got time and the means, maybe google linear overflow explained. That's how I found the info.

Sorry if I misspelled it earlier or made it sound like a style of overflow.
Old 09-29-2011, 03:03 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

quick drawing of what mine looks like behind the tank
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	65.2 KB
ID:	54196  

Tags
flow, flow rate, overflow, pvc, pvc overflow

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com