all pvc overflow flow rates?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don't want to clutter up mrbee's thread so I'll say it here. I found a site that gave options on flow rate of a pipe run how many 90s how 45s how many many inches of vertical rise. I thought that in a siphon vertical fall was also a factor in it all.

honestly I don't exactly know how to figure that you want to make sure your sump don't over flow if the power goes out and I think you will be ok

Yes sir that's been planed for when i put it all together. Sad but I've been stairing at this sump for a couple months. Only missing overflows and a return pump.

coffeetwitch said:
I don't want to clutter up mrbee's thread so I'll say it here. I found a site that gave options on flow rate of a pipe run how many 90s how 45s how many many inches of vertical rise. I thought that in a siphon vertical fall was also a factor in it all.

It was a cool site all you had todo was plug in the numbers and it would poop out gph through the size of pipe you select. But I thought that in a gravity siphon down was just as much a factor as up and I didn't see a box for that so my attention went back to looking

ive been doing some playing around with a 2" overflow i made. so far ive been able to sustain 786 gph through it. it can handle more but i could only verify the 786. flow rate was measured by weight of water. i had a garden hose from the outside spigot running full blast and a garden hose from the washing machine spigot wide open too. i timed 30 seconds with a stop watch filling a bucket with each hose then weighing the bucket.

do i have pictures? no, but i can get some!

ill try to make it a little fancy and add some measurements too.

kk here it is. 2" pvc overflow with a measured flow rate of 786 gph

img_1585459_0_3f4b27320a93afefa91b5e26d08352ac.jpg

img_1585459_1_77d572398617e152cd5866bea50d4bde.jpg

img_1585459_2_2dc99374ac4dad69947d3806c6462dfe.jpg

are you really? wanna grab a cup of coffee or no time?

no check valve. the brass nipple there is for a toms aquatic lift pump.

ah. your with friends, may be next time.

so is the aqua lifter. just put some water in the back side of it and plug it in. cheap insurance to keep the air bubbles out of it so it wont loose siphon.

but your are right. check valve will work too. thats what i was using before we got the pump.

I have never used the aqualifter but if I build an acrylic one I probably will my thoughts are I don't think you can go wrong with it

yep yep. too many people have recommended them not to use one. cheap enough too. we bought ours for 20. when i was out and about today. i saw that the pet warehouse on the northwest side of town had one for 12 and some change.

What's up with petland here was there today and it seems they could care less about saltwater now all Amos look like the have had no maintenance and are infested with aptasia

i know right? story they tell is that the accounting department did some bad things and in order to recover from that they have cut a lot of the budgets across the board. their saltwater tanks have been empty forever. 2 weeks ago was the first shipment of sw that the have gotten since before i got into this hobby in april. and even that was nothing. even their freshwater tanks had weeks of nothing new in them. and when they did get new in it was very limited.

as far as the maintenance goes. i dont know what to tell you. i will say this. me and sweety pie where in there so often in the beginning that we got on freindly terms with them and got a good deal on the lr that is sitting in our 75g right now. i would say all of it came from them... we only had 2 heads of aptasia to deal with. the rest of it was clean.

Back
Top Bottom