Big tank w laminated glass

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Noledoc

Aquarium Advice Newbie
A very fine local contractor with a glass expertise is the main man in putting this in my basement.
Right now he's planning an L shaped tank of laminated glass with a strong steel frame. The long limb of the L will be 16 ft, the shorter limb, 8 ft.
Both limbs will be 36" wide x 30" height.
I've got all sorts of questions to answer before final plans are made.
One involves thickness of the glass. He insists 3/8" laminated glass within a steel frame is plenty strong. I've read that laminated glass is actually weaker than float glass of the same size.
Any thoughts about laminated glass?
Also the u of pea gravel as a good substrate for a planted fresh water tank.
Thanks

Wow!!! Not sure on the glass but I can't wait to see this develop. How many gallons is that? Are you going to do led or mh or a bunch of t5ho for lights?

I'm not sure yet. The contractor has wholesale prices for the glass and some of the lighting. It all depends (of course) on the bang for the buck.

3/8" glass would technically work, but I would step up to 1/2" glass if you're going to put any large fish in the tank. I'd hate to see a huge investment like that tank busted because a fish got spooked.

Pea gravel works as a plant substrate.

Thanks

Appreciate your thoughts. It's going to be assembled in the basement. I'm wondering how they are going to place the glass inside the frame. A sheet of glass 16 ft long and 3 ft wide for front, back and bottom. Ahhh the glue!!

Welcome to AA I know its a bit late but better late than never.

Please keep us posted on this as sounds interesting and daring at the same time and do your home work if it does bust would be a bit worse than a leaking toilet:drain:

Not many have a tank this size so advice may be limited but this site is great and I had loads of advice with a smaller build I did.

Please take lots of picture of this build, I cant wait to see them.

Cant help you with the glass, Good luck thought.

I agree. I would go bigger for saftey. It would also depend on the bracing for the top. Is it one continuous piece of 16ft glass? It will flex and break. I would research glass and strength.

I dunno know much about glass but that tank is massive 1347gal take into account the weight of the water 11,180.1lbs!

Better safe than sorry!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom