Sand enclosure in gravel tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ShrimpLoacher

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I was wondering if anyone has tried to put say a 6-8 inch clear glass dish 2 inch full of aquarium sand in a tank to be gravel yet contain a sand pit for khuli loaches. I thought a wide rim bowl or something so when the sand is disturbed it still settles in the dish yet fish can easily swim up and out a wide exit. I was thinking of putting some plants on the rim so either the plant or the plant roots cover most of the bowl preferably dangly plants so it can be green and possibly the roots hand into the bowl. Any suggestions would be great

I would suspect that the problem with this is the sand would not stay in there... particularly with loaches

I really like this idea of isolating various substrates and surfaces, and opening up more of the clear bottom of the tank to stay clear. Good luck with it!! It is part of my plan for my first tank.

Minimalism can be a very powerful way to place attention where you want it in the tank.

In fact, thinking of your idea and how it sparked my brain, I may consider altering the interior design of my new minimalist tank so all rocks, surfaces, props, etc — even substrate barriers and dividers — are completely devoid of color — white, clear, or mirrored surfaces — so that literally the only color you see are colored fish, and the plants themselves. I could even mask and “disappear” any substrate by placing it in white / opaque dishes as you suggest, and line surfaces with white so even the layers of earth are unseen.

Variations on this idea might include:

- Selecting only fish in one color family…

- Seiect only two colors of fish, stark contrast, so everyone is on, say, either the red team or the orange team. Even get multiples of pooling fish in one color and species (orange) ; and a second contrasting color (green) of another contrasting shape and species of pooling fish.

(Do different species of pooling fish pool together, as a species, apart from another different species that pool together in the same tank? (My mind is blowing.))

- Selecting only fish that blend in with green plants and camouflage making them difficult to spot.

- Reversing the idea, so that all animal and even plant life are colorless — only white, black, grey or clear / neutral (filter equipment as well), and the ONLY color in the tank comes from props, furniture, and other man made or artistic elements or design.

You really think the sand would rise up and out?? Literally thinking like a fishbowl inside of the aquarium covered in plants with at least 4 inches of side wall and a fairly plant obstructed opening to further help contain and disturbed sand and ofc the khuli could wiggle thro into the enclosure. Has anyone tried this???

(Likely not addressed to me, but...)

Water movement alone would move sand. Snails and other cleanie-crawlie creatures could move it; and any fish brushing past could as well. I've learned that fish rest on surfaces from time to time.

Also, your own cleaning and management; rearrangement; siphons, tweezers and other tools; even your own hands could move things.

Fish with tiny shovels and pails, no, I'll give you that. That would be silly.

I’ve seen this done in bare bottom sw tanks for certain types of fish. Once the sands been in the tank a while it’ll develop a biofilm and won’t blow around much.

Ok I think imma try it out, kinda expanded on my own thoughts a lil reading ur comments if things work out maybe I'll drop some pics down the road

Ty everyone

I think your idea would work for the most part. If the bowl is deep enough, and heavily planted around the rim which would reduce water flow across the bowl

I don’t think every grain of sand is going to stay in there, but I’d have to imagine it would take a long time to see that sand starting to accumulate outside of the bowl.

In which case could you not just use a gravel vac to suck the sand out of the gravel and clean it up? I don’t know if that would work, never used sand myself.

Back
Top Bottom