Breeder tank connected to main system

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jack

Aquarium Advice Regular
I'm thinking about connecting a 15 gal breeder tank to my main 75 gal tank and the sump/wet-dry. My thought was that I would pump water into the breeder tank from the sump (probably just using 1/4" - 1/2" tubing), then connecting the 15 gal to the sump w/ a small overflow. This breeder tank is really just to rear fry which will become food for the fish in the main tank. Any thoughts on this idea or any easier ideas or solutions?

I can't think of an easier way to do it, I am assuming this is for FW fish. I haven't had much experience with live bearers, but when my wife was breeding angels, we had to add plenty of methylene blue to the fry tank to keep the eggs from fungusing. Being able to medicate this tank may pose an issue to the main tank, just a thought...when you connect systems, what happens to one, happens to them all.

FW tank. This would likely be a livebearer tank. Good point on medications, though. Of course, I could shutdown the overflow and run stand-alone for some time if need be.

I have a 150 gal livebearer tank I get a new batch of fry about once a week I leave it to darwinism I am about 3 generations deep I find If when you do a water change bring the temp down a degree or two the fish think it rained and spit out fry like there is no tomorrow 8)

I am about three gen deep i have a receive defect in my maile guppies that gives them what looks like scoliosis but a lot do get eaten I get about four a birth (at once a week thats a lot of fish) that mature I give a lot of fish away My friend has a 25 gal with nothing but hand me down guppies from my tank.

I'm setting up a 75 gal tank that will have guppies, mollies and Belonesox belizanus (pike livebearer). I want to produce enough feeders for the Belonesox (they pretty much only eat fish). I don't mind buying some feeders, just don't want to have to go to LFS every few days to get live food. I think I'm going to start with all fish in the main tank (not going to set-up the breeder tank right now). Though the Belonesox will likely take some grown guppies and/or mollies, I hoped that breeding fish would continuously replenish the tank. Any thoughts?

Do you do anything special to raise the young (screen, breeder cages, special food, etc.)?

Like I said I leave it to mother nature but blood worms is all they ever ate and lots of nice small hiding places

Back
Top Bottom