Building my own Refugium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

eatsomepopcorn

Aquarium Advice Freak
I would like some thoughts on a refugium for a FOWLR 12G (5' by 18"). I was thinking of a four chaber refugium.
Chamber 1 = Protein Skimmer
Chamber 2 = Live Sand and Algae (sand raised 1" from bottom suspended)
Chamber 3 = Live Rock (30-40 lbs)
Chamber 4 = Return Pump

This would run without a sock or filter pad. I am away for a whole week at a time. I can get someone to feed, but not deal with sock changes. I was planning to run skimmer into sealed 5 gallon bucket with alarm if it gets too high. What are your thoughts.
:n00b:

How big is this going to be with 30-40# of rock in there?
I was planning to run skimmer into sealed 5 gallon bucket with alarm if it gets too high.
What does that mean?

do you mean a 125g?

What do you mean when suspending the sand? If you're going for denitrification in the sand bed, I think you need more than 1" but maybe I'm not understanding your statement.

Will you have LR in the DT?

Have you considered a Miracle Mud refugium sump with no skimmer? Google it and watch a bunch of videos.

I think with the 5g bucket/skimmer deal you are saying that you are going to pipe the skimmate over to it so you don't have to empty it twice a week? Unless you're wet skimming, it will take you a year to fill that bucket and I wouldn't want to be anywhere near it when opened!!

and if the bucket is sealed, the cup might not drain well into it. I have mine go to a one gal milk jug and never have more than a cup of fluid in it.

The main tank will be 125g, the refugium will likely be a 55g or 70g. The sand will be raised 1 inch off the refugium bottom, it will be stacked in several layers of 1.5 inches to 2.5 inches each.

From what I've read - I'm thinking the suspended sand is for a plenum in his DSB. I was also considering doing this myself in a fuge seperate from the sump.

you take 1/2 or 3/4" pvc, place it on the bottom of the fuge, then put a mesh over that, then place the sand over the screen. I think he means from the bottom of the fuge.

Back
Top Bottom