Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-29-2004, 08:58 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via AIM to kagentx
CO2 DIY help

I need help with the DIY CO2, i've tried it twice and it seems to be injecting those liquid things instead of CO2. I put 1 tsp of yeast and about 2 cups of sugar and the water up to the bend of the 2 liter bottle. One question, how much is 2 cups of sugar when i see it on sites. I really want to have CO2, can't wait =D i just build my 50 gallon tank and waiting for more CO2

Old 01-30-2004, 01:49 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

you might have too much water in the bottle so the foam is going up the tube as well as th4e CO2. Try it with a little less water.

Old 01-31-2004, 12:53 AM   #3

I agree with billy, too much water. I put it about 2 inches below where the bottle starts to curve.

Quote:
One question, how much is 2 cups of sugar when i see it on sites.
not sure i understand this question. 2 standard measuring cups of sugar. I also put in 1 teaspoon baking soda, it stablizes the mixture, so it lasts longer.
Old 01-31-2004, 11:18 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via AIM to kagentx
i've sucessfully gotten CO2 bubbles for the first time! i'm getting about 1 bubble every 30 seconds. i used a cup of sugar, and a teaspoon of yeast then i added the water 2 inches below the shoulder like corvus said. Thanks guys! now how can i make the production better? more bubbles in less time and longer lasting
Old 01-31-2004, 11:53 PM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

Some people just add more sugar when the bubble rate slows down, and get more bang for their buck, so to speak. I have not tried this, but tend to go ahead and replace the whole mixture. I need to do some experimenting, myself. I always use baking soda, however, like CC.

The other trick is to have 2 bottles going, on alternating schedules, so you are never without bubble production. I may have gotten this from CC, as well Connect them with a T-valve and while you are waiting for one to get rolling the other one is under way, and vice versa.
TankGirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
co2, diy

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com