Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-07-2004, 11:52 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Concrete Background

I'm planning on builiding a Foam insulation background for my tank, and coating it with Quickcrete . I'm setting this up for a Discus tank, so I'm wondering how long I'll need to cure the concrete to prevent it from raising my pH.

As an alternative to massive water changes over a long period of time to get the concrete cured, I'm thinking about using a clear epoxy spray paint over the completed concrete, to seal it. How long does the concrete need to cure before I could paint it? I've seen the spray epoxy-paint used (I think it's called Black Baron) for r/c models, but I don't know if it's aquarium safe. Can anyone else suggest any ideas?

Thanks!

-J

Old 07-07-2004, 01:15 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Do a search on DIY Live rock. They use a mixture of crushed shell instead to make an oranic cement. I would think that it would work for a background...

Old 07-07-2004, 01:25 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

need to change the water everyday(at least what i did ) for 4 weeks or until the ph is stable
Old 07-07-2004, 01:38 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

I'm not sure crushed coral would work- even after it cured, I think it would always up the pH. The stuff I'm using is "Quikrete Quikwall Surface-bonding cement," designed for waterproofing and strengthening block walls. It's approved by the USDA and EPA for potable water applications, so I hope that means it isn't going to continually leach junk into the water.

Does anyone know of a matte, clear sealer I can use on the cured concrete to give a little more peace of mind?

Thanks-

-J
Old 07-07-2004, 01:43 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

i mixed portland cement with just plain southdown to make my rocks !! next time im gonna make a backwall using this !! once cured it will help buffer your ph !!

Does anyone know of a matte, clear sealer I can use on the cured concrete to give a little more peace of mind?

bad bad idea !!
Old 07-07-2004, 01:47 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

Buffering the pH is what I'm worried about- I got rid of all of my AC's, and I'm setting up the tank for Discus. I'm afraid that, even with RO, the concrete is going to crank my pH up. Could you elaborate on why a sealer (I was thinking of those epoxy-based spray paints) would be a bad idea? I really appreciate all the feedback.

-J
Old 07-07-2004, 01:55 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

ohhhh hummm sorry it didnt set in ya was wanting to keep discus !! i would think that the epoxy would peel off over time !! what if ya used silicone on the back wall and stuck different river rocks onto it ?? then there wouldnt be any leaching !! other than that sorry dont have any other ideas !! but always have it stuck in my mind salt tanks salt tanks ))) lol
Old 07-07-2004, 02:03 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

Haha. That was last year's project. I just finished pulling off 100+ lbs of lava rock that I had siliconed to the back and sides. It was awesome, but it ws so heavy the tank was a nightmare to move. Since I'm going to be driving it from Detroit to New Orleans, I decided I'd better go with something lighter, and removable. I've read a few sites where folks used 2-part marine epoxy over cement for backgrounds, but none gave long term reports, so I dunno about peeling. Looks like I'm gonna have to experiment a bit. Thanks for the suggestions!

-J

Tags
background

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com