Custom Tank ?'s

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hovoc

Aquarium Advice Activist
36 in tall, 19 wide, 10 deep.

this would be going into an interesting piece of furniture and would have wooden supports in some places. my question is, how sturdy of a tank would this be, and how hard would it be to keep a 3 ft tall column of water clean?

I dont know the structural aspect of it but unless you have go-go-gadget arms doing anything in that tall of a tank will be a little hard. I used to have a 210gal that was 29 inches tall and doing anything in that tank short of using scuba gear was a pain in the but. Sure you can get the magnetic algea cleaners and long forcepts to move stuff around, but when you start struggling just to get into it to do maintanence and rearanging stuff Its not fun anymore. Thats just my opinion on the matter if you dont think youll have a problem with it though it sounds like it will be really cool in a piece of furniture.

we have some old grandfather clocks that are missing pieces. they are dirt cheap, and me and a friend thought that if we replace the clock mechanism to something thats battery opperated and added glass inside and built a tank out of it, then it may look cool.

Funny you should mention grandfather clock. I just had to repair the one my dad has because it got damaged during our move. The crown just above the clock face got destroyed and had to cut new wood and make new moulding for it. The really hard part was matching the stain that turned out to be harder than I expected. Are those clocks of yours older one that were built pretty solidly or are they the newer ones that are slapped together relativley inexpensive? The reason I ask is the one I just repaired under no way could hold any volumn of water in its curio section without some serious bracing. You would also have to think about plumbing for filtration and lighting along with a piece of wood that would have to be removable to get some access to the top for feeding and adding water. Hum, if you really wanted to do this you would probably need to remove the floor of the clock and make the aquarium so that the floor would support the weight and then also make the clock heavy enough so that if for some unexpected reason the tank shifted it would hold it up and not allow the tank to fall over taking the clock with it. The idea of putting a tank inside a clock sounds really cool and you might be onto something. If you decide to do it keep my posted, I want to see some pics of it.

yeah these are the newer ones, although some seem fairly sturdy.

unfortunately the cost of this project is too hire for me atm, so i may return to it later on :(

Back
Top Bottom