DIY 10 gallon stand plans?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

benlink3

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Anybody got or know of any plans for a DIY 10 gallon tank stand?
I got one for my other 10 gallon tank, and i just wanna have two of them for my fry. I could just get the proper measurements of the other one to have twin stands, but i wanna try something new.
Plus, it gives me something to do with the family.
Let me know if anybody finds some.
What about a DIY for a 5 gallon stand? LOL!
Justhad to ask.
Thank you.
Ben

For a 10 or 5 gal, you don't need any specialized stand. The weight of the tank & everthing else is under 100 lbs, so pretty much any sturdy desk, table will do. (I put my 10 gal on a desk I build some years ago).

There are lots of plans on the net for various small table, Entertainment centers, etc. You can modify one of these or use one as inspiration to design your own.

While searching for ideas on a TV stand, I came across this:

http://www.am-wood.com/jan97/tvcabinet.html

This should work for a small tank as well. What do yoiu think?

PS - The plan use 1/2 inch plywood for the shelves. To hold 100 lbs, I would use 3/4" instead. I typically would cap both front & back of the shelves with hardwood stripes as well to minimize sag.

Depends on how much gravel you have, to.. and ect ect.

My 10gal weighs about 120lbs.

I have a 30gal right now sitting on my desk right next to my computer. and I believe it weighs like...400lbs 8O

Tomorrow is Sunday, and I am going to make a duplicate of the stand I got for other 10 gallon tank.
I just wanted to find anothert stand plan made for a tank, not a desk.
I do appreciate the help, but I am looking for something like say more custom, and appropriate for a tank.
Thank you.
Ben

look into some 1x3 oak, cherry or maple boards

using a mitre box and saw, you cut a board the proper dimensions to make a rectangular box the size of your tank

then using more of the same board, make 4 legs in an L-Shape that the box sits on... use small scrap pieces to attach the legs from the inside of the leg to the inside of the box

next, you can keep using 1x3 or go with something smaller like 1x1 square dowels ...

build a smaller box that fits "inside" the legs, position it about 3-4 inches from the "bottom" of the legs. you could put your 5 gallon on this shelf, with the 10 gallon up above

finish with whatever stain meets your tastes, or paint, or whatever :)

should cost between $20 and $60 depending on the boards you choose (furinature grade oak boards get pricey), the only fasterns you'll need are some 8 penny trim nails and some small screws for attaching the legs' tabs.

1x3 should work fine for any size tank up to 20 gallons ... after that you'll want to move into 1x6 or 2x4 for the extra weight

I would be a bit worried using 1x3 for legs (maybe I am just paranoid & overbuild everything? :lol: )

If you get 1x3 in finished lumber, this is actually 3/4"x2 1/2", maybe OK using Hardwood, but a bit wobbly using pine or other softwood.

I would suggest using 2x3 for legs, esp. for 20 gal tanks, or you may find what they call 5/4 boards - this is actually 1.25" thick - whereas 2x lumber is 1.5".

I usually make my furniture out of rough boards - a lot cheaper - recently I found some maple shorts at 1.99 (Can$) a board foot, made a small table for less than $20. .... But then I have a jointer/planer to smooth this out ....

Back
Top Bottom