Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-20-2004, 02:03 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

DIY - ~2000 gal aquarium?

Hello,

The other day I saw a very large aquarium at a local college. The front had to be no less than 16' wide by at least 7' high (I would guess it was actually 8'). I couldn't accurately judge the depth, but rough estimate would be 3' or 4' deep.

A long time ago I had this curiosity about building such a beast. Seeing one in real life recently has me wondering some more.

For the heck of it, I decided to look around to see what the specifics would be to build say a 10' wide, 7' tall, 4' deep aquarium. The weight would be about 18,000 pounds... so concrete base would be a must (on the ground).

None of the calculators seem to handle such large sizes. How thick would the glass need to be? I'm guessing the only way to do such a thing is use steel sides and rear, glass front on a steel frame? Sealed using epoxy or other products specific to the task.

Does anyone know how the commercial ones are constructed? Is it rebar and concrete or steel?

I'm sure it's a pipe dream, but hey... someday for the future. Still can't kill the curiosity ...

Old 09-20-2004, 02:55 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

well, first lets get some semi real numbers to play with (I like to pipe dream too!)

volume: (12"x12"x12") * (10'x7'x4') = 483,840 cubic inches.
231 cubic inches per gallon = apx [b]2094.54 Gallons[b]
Water weight @ 8.81 lbs/gallon = 18,448 pounds
Live Rock @ 2lbs/gallon = 4,000 +/- pounds
Sand substrate @4" deep = 1,000 +/- pounds

Add to that equipment such as pumps, lights, plumbing etc and your total weight will be more towards 24,000 pounds. And that of course doesn't consider the weight of the tank itself as I don't know how much cement weighs other than, "a lot"

I would certainly suggest steel reinforced cement. Unless you plan on using all stainless steel, any other metal strong enough to hold the forces will corrode and fail. Hmm, I wonder about a carbon fiber frame? would have to find some stats on that. I would also suggest 1" acrylic. Not just for the weight of the water in the tank, but as "insurance" against an external force knocking into the tank and causing a failure.

here's somplace that has what i'd like to see in my dream home: http://www.aqds.com/PvtOff.htm

Old 09-20-2004, 05:34 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Ah

I don't know a terrible amount about salt water setups, but I'm assuming diatomacious earth pool filter / pool pumps would be usable for that amount of water -- assuming there aren't issues with metal parts.

I would probably run towards computer automation for pH, salinity, temperature. Water chiller would be nasty, would probably have to have a neslab on the loop. DMX-512 for lighting.

I was thinking about the reinforced concrete thing. Wonder how thick the concrete would have to be to support that kind of weight. And the window, would 1" really be thick enough? I found a guy who had built a 860+ gallon tank tank and the lexan front gave out when it was filling (water was 4" from the top). I think he said it was 3/4" Lexan, it's on the web somewhere.

Maybe I will email that company and ask from an "out of curiosity" angle what it takes to support such a beast.
Old 09-21-2004, 04:53 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

On the cheap you might look at swimming pool construction. They make indoor pools so companies like that would know the sturctural codes and stuff. I would not want to guess what that would cost to setup and run but hey you may hit the lotto and that might almost cover it.

It would be cool if you could make a pool reef with one wall against the house being the view window. That would save alot on the structure. You could then build a platform on top to hold equipment and lights with removable sections for access and cleaning. You could even have that as a cool office with a glass floor to watch the fish swim under you.
Old 09-21-2004, 05:06 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Then the mantis shrimp came with the LR. Now you need to scuba diving to catch the fella...
Old 09-21-2004, 07:51 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Better yet an attack sub with Mantis seeking torpedos.
Old 09-21-2004, 05:44 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via ICQ to JProx Send a message via AIM to JProx
even better yet..

mini - sharks with freakin' lazer beams attached to their heads!! ; that have a craving for mantis shimps.
Old 09-22-2004, 09:46 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via MSN to _dan_
thats one big tank... 8O you might even need steel bands running around the tank evey 12" or so(silicone isnt that strong)
Old 09-23-2004, 12:33 AM   #9

The only thing you need to determine glass thickness is the height. You can have a 50,000 gallon tank that is 21" high and use the same glass they use on a 70 gallon aquarium.
Old 09-23-2004, 02:12 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Ah

I was getting that impression from playing with glass thickness calculators, and it makes sense

Still digging! The main thing is how thick does the glass need to be for 7' depth which a high safety factor.

Well, and how thick does the concrete have to be

Tags
diy

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com