DIY 75g Build: Background, Stand, ect.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
jkdubs2 said:
I say scratch only because it was really fun to build mine. But I think cabinets would be cool to see too!

I like the idea of the cabinets because I can have the drawers that I want without worrying about having to cut them in. but alas the battle continues. Lol I told him that I'll build the stand for the 75 out of the cabinets and he can build the stand for the 55 from scratch and we'll see which one is more structurally sound and eye appealing. I bet I'll win :D

lol i agree there something about trusting water around partical board unless you find solid wood which will be more expensive then a custom diy

Lepomis said:
Both wood workers and using pre fab cabinets. :eek:

Yea but I like the cabinet look. he's the one that is going to build one from scratch.

abstract373 said:
lol i agree there something about trusting water around partical board unless you find solid wood which will be more expensive then a custom diy

Well honestly not all true tank stands are solid wood. so using a cabinet as a skeletal structure wouldn't be any different than using a stand bought from Petco. whichever I decide to do will be sealed and made sure its structurally sound to be able to hold over 600 lbs.

Lol ya I had to clear out my attachments, my background is not fully finished but here is a picture I just took, its 2217 here so sorry for the dark picture.

ForumRunner_20120712_221756.jpg

I'm not sure about the background though, I'm already kind of bored of it. :)

Make around the tree roots black and I think it will look better. Deeper even.

Looks awesome tho already!

jkdubs2 said:
Make around the tree roots black and I think it will look better. Deeper even.

Looks awesome tho already!

Yea they need to be blended together more, I have to pick up some more drylok Friday. But I might change it completely.
I've even changed the design of my tank stand twice
:D

butterfly_koi said:
Lol ya I had to clear out my attachments, my background is not fully finished but here is a picture I just took, its 2217 here so sorry for the dark picture.

I'm not sure about the background though, I'm already kind of bored of it. :)

Maybe paint some flowering vines on it??

butterfly_koi said:
Yes I did! :D
I'm not 100% how I'm going to pull it off but I'm set on how I'm going to do it.
I'll post my drawing when I get home

Ok cool cant wait.

Alright, here is my new stand idea. I am set, this is what I want and what I am going to do. Ok so allot of people here know that I am a HUGE outdoors kinda person. So my stand idea is going to look like a tree. Odd I know but I'm stuck on this idea.

ForumRunner_20120724_153318.jpg

The skeletal structure and wrapping is going to be the basic structure that you would normally use but its going to have a extra wrapping to make it look like bark. Does any of this make sense? Sorry for the jumbled doodle, I was a bit bored and kinda went doodle crazy. its kinda two drawings in one, the top one is the basic skeletal structure and the bottom is the finished look

butterfly_koi said:
Alright, here is my new stand idea. I am set, this is what I want and what I am going to do. Ok so allot of people here know that I am a HUGE outdoors kinda person. So my stand idea is going to look like a tree. Odd I know but I'm stuck on this idea.

The skeletal structure and wrapping is going to be the basic structure that you would normally use but its going to have a extra wrapping to make it look like bark. Does any of this make sense? Sorry for the jumbled doodle, I was a bit bored and kinda went doodle crazy. its kinda two drawings in one, the top one is the basic skeletal structure and the bottom is the finished look

Great idea
that's soooo cool
Awesome
Going to be another stunning display piece by you
hope it turns out like the picture ;)

Haha at least my picture made sense to someone :D thanks Andrew!
I can't wait to get started but I haven't fully decided on how I'm going to pull it off yet. My thoughts were to use styrofoam because its easy to shape, sand, paint etc. plus it doesn't have to actually hold any weight just its kinda like a decorative skin lol
And it will gain hardness once it is painted with the drylok and a coat of epoxy making it waterproof as well. Sounds good?

It's on the stand and on the outside of the tank, right? If so why would you go threw the trouble making it water proof? If it was me I would get the tank up and going then start on the outside part of it. I'm sure you can make it at least I know I could. But it would probably take me a couple years

Andrew McFadden said:
It's on the stand and on the outside of the tank, right? If so why would you go threw the trouble making it water proof? If it was me I would get the tank up and going then start on the outside part of it. I'm sure you can make it at least I know I could. But it would probably take me a couple years

I'd make it waterproof because I have little wee ones that like to set drinking glasses by the tank when they gander at it :D
Plus the added epoxy will make it harder so if I do happen to use styrofoam it won't dent/damage as easily plus I tend to make a watery mess when it comes to pwcs lol

Back
Top Bottom