diy aquarium questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sl7rips

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I was just wondering if anyone has ever made a aquarium out of 1" partical board .. the tank would only be about 135 gallons 60" long 18 wide and 24 tall

Particle board has no inherent strength to keep it from bowing, unlike plywood. If it were used to cover a frame it might work, although something like MDF would be better. the issues with swelling and dissolution if it got wet would, for me, not make it worth the risk.

Thanks. I just figured it could work in a smaller tank when coated with fiberglass resin and top braced

I was thinking about a 48"x24"x24" should be roughly 120 gallons. Would I be able to use Bondo brand fiberglass resin and mat to coat the inside and it be fish safe? It will be going in a wall between two rooms
Aquarium_with_top_and_overflow.jpg

Last edited:
I was thinking about a 48"x24"x24" should be roughly 120 gallons. Would I be able to use Bondo brand fiberglass resin and mat to coat the inside and it be fish safe? It will be going in a wall between two rooms

Thanks. I just figured it could work in a smaller tank when coated with fiberglass resin and top braced
If you were to take a 48" x 24" piece of particle board of say 3/4" thick, you could probably break it over your knee. I wouldn't risk it in a tank built as in the drawing. Just my opinion.

And it would destroy your house when it breaks. Use something with much higher strength.

I could buy one but then that wouldn't be a plywood DIY. I went and bought 3/4" exterior grade plywood so I should b starting soon.. will bondo brand fiberglass resin work to seal it?

Back
Top Bottom