DIY auto top off

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gooyferret

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Well i recieved my float switches and have made a couple of auto top offs. I was gettting sick of adding water all the time so i broke down and made them. Ill get some picks on here shortly. If anyone has any questions how to make them let me know im always willing to help out.

Would love to see pictures and or plans since I will be getting my RO/DI in one week and want to do like you so please keep me posted
Thanks

Michel, not a problem just need to get some pics off my other comp im on my laptop now. Ill get them on here ASAP for ya! Toodles.

oh, the other thing to watch for is make sure there is an air break between your top-off hose and the water in the sump, so that tank/sump water cannot get drawn back into the resivor once the pump shuts off.

LOL the pic is kinda decieving the pipe actually doesnt go much past the lid of the sump so i dont have a syphon effect. Already got that covered! :wink:

gooyferret said:
Hmm thats the only way i could get it to work. Is there another way?

Ideally, you would want the float switch to operate a relay, and the relay would turn pump(s) on or off

your way is prefect for operating a small pump like that maxijet

example:

lets say you setup a float switch for a low water level, to shut off a main system pump. If you're running a big tank, that pump will draw a lot of energy, more than the switch may be able to safely handle. So instead, the switch is connected to a relay and a battery, and the relay switches the high power pump on and off according to what the float switch is reading.

Hmm that must be for a very high voltage outlet, my float switch is rated at 200 volts. Which will accomidate all standard outlets and a switching rating of 20 watts. It can withstand a voltage of 250 watts.

pretty heavy duty float switch, mind if we ask where you got it and what it cost? Not having to wire it to a relay makes it much simpler.

cool, are there any markings on it? brand name/model # etc so if someone wanted to buy one new (such as myself) they'd know what to look for? :eek:)

so wait lemme see if I understand this... you have a water pump in a bucket of water, the plug from the water pump is connected to the white extention cord, the white extension cord midway is attached to the float switch, and the the float switch reattaches to the white cord, where the white cord then plugs into the wall? the guys is still selling a lot of these realy cheap.. I am considering getting one for my 45 gallon tank, I have an extra rio 1400 laying around doing nothing! :twisted:

Yo I am back again, I was wondering if I could do the same you did, but add a second float switch for the bucket, so should I be away and somehow the bucket runs out of water, the secondary float switch will cut off the motor (like a second switch), even if the first switch is tring to turn it on, all this to save the motor from drying killing itself. My question is.. a) will this idea work? and b) are float switches sumbersible? I thought it could be because if I use the same housing as did gooy, technically the actual float switch will be under water, but having the piping protect the wires... but what do you all think???

A) yes
b) by the looks of these switches, yes

put the second float switch for the bucket in line with the wire of the first float switch. In other words, as long as the bucket switch is closed, the tank switch will be able to operate normally. However, if the bucket switch is open (not enough water in bucket) then the wire from the tank switch will not turn on the pump.

if your not sure of what i'm describing let me know, i'll sketch something up.

Awesome thanks Billy! I understand just wondering if it was possible.. hehe DIY project here I come.. those swicthes on ebay are really cheap and heck not needing a relay helps too, so looks like I am gunna get 2 :D

LOL i bought 4 of them! :twisted: Yes i have actually thought of the pail idea also just havent got around to it although i need to considering i found my pump running without water in it.. im just glad the pump didnt go bad! :D

Back
Top Bottom