diy canister

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

urville

Aquarium Advice Freak
i used the plan i found here awhile ago, but the link is toast it's still cahced at yahoo though.
it uses a whirlpool whole house filter i bought brass fittings for all the pvc to vinyl tubing connections and used 5/8" clear tubing. i used a 1 and 1/4 toile extention tube sawed to the prper length then drilled the holes. i found silicone to be too flexible and unrigid, so i bought some epoxy putty and man oh man i love this stuff. and it dries within an hour. so i epoxy'd the new downtube into the canister base and then cemented a seal on the cap of the canister to ensure a seal. i used fluval open cell foam for the coarse material about 2" and the a layer of shotgun wads 2", then poly fill 1/2", then 2" of wads, and then a filter floss sheet doubled over. this filled the canister. for the return and intakes i used a pvc generic downtube made of i think 3/4" tube, they are preformed and are found at lowes by the pvc connectors. the rest was pvc connectors and brass barb fittings and rings. i'm pushing it right now with a rio 90 pump on the end of the return and it blows across the mid upper back of the tank. only 90 gal an hour in a 30 gal tank thats only 3 times over. gonna try for 250 magdrive or something. the intake suction is too low for my tastes.
i repositioned my co2 powerhead to dead center in the back shooting forward and deflected down. we'll see if that provides enough room for dispersement.

when i first did this i took my HOB PF off and then the canisters "then" silicone seals failed. it took me about a week to fix everything the way i wanted and in the meantime i experienced the hugest brown algae explosion. it wipes off easy and i thinks it's actually diatoms for sure. it's simply amazing my otos are going nuts trying to keep up. hopefully this will hep things as some plants were getting overrun.

the wisteria though it's growth is mind boggling. over one night it just gets massiveand grows rooted plantlets off everywhere. and everything grows roots off every node. insane. i noticed that despite some major covering of brown algae the glosso has started to really take off, the single planting method is legitamate. i will post new pics here tomorrow.
my serpaes are tormenting my shrimp. grrrrrrrr....

thats all i can think of.
anyone in the denver area wanna split some shipping on shrimp and whatnot?

Back
Top Bottom