Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-03-2013, 02:53 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad M View Post
Agreed, during the first stages of quarantine and all stages of a hospital tank they need to be separated. I figured this problem could be solved when we do the plumbing by setting up all 3 tanks to drain into the sump instead of flowing through each tank. Valves will be installed on the 3 intakes primarily to adjust flow since 1 pump will feed 3 tanks but also so you can shut the flow off to a tank. If no water is flowing in then nothing will overflow. It becomes iscolated. Drop in a sponge filter heater and air stone and the hospital is up and running. Can anyone else think of a draw back or better design idea?
Ok as long as the QT and hospital tank water those not go into the DT or each other you should be good but also if all tanks drain to the sump then the return pump will take that infested water to the DT. The point of QT and hospital is to have a separate setup from DT. Plus when you add meds and it gets in the sump how will stop it from getting in DT.

Old 10-03-2013, 05:11 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wy Renegade View Post
Interesting idea, so following along. What about including another small pump at the top of the system to provide a gravity feed refugium. Usable with either fresh or saltwater.
I thought a refugium was the same thing as a sump? What would the small pump at the top be used for if its a gravity fed system? Guess im looking for a few more details to better help me understand your idea.

Old 10-03-2013, 05:22 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak

I think what I use my hospital tanks for is different than other people. If I notice a fish is hiding to much or doesnt seem to be eating I will remove them from the DT and put them in the hospital. No visable disease and nothing to medicate just seperate them so they dont stress out and can eat and stay healthy before a problem starts. My new fish will spend over a month in quarantine. After the first few days you know if its sick or not and can allow the same water from the display tank to be shared with the hospital. They are kept that long to make sure you can adjust their feeding types and times from how the LFS did it to how you do it as well as allow them a good amount of time to get good and healthy not to mention de stressed before I move them in.

The other question was how to keep bad water out of the sump if you do have a sick fish. With the valves on the intake for the 3 tanks I can close off 1 of the 10g. They will be using an overflow system so without water flowing in from the pump it cant overflow and drain into the sump. Additionally I will have pvc pipe caps that I will place over the overflow so if I have to put my hands in there I wont cause the water level to rise over the overflow and sending sick fish water into my whole system.

Any other improvement ideas or design concerns? Once I hear back aboit this micro sump idea on the 2 10g tanks we may be ready to start sketching out are idea frame as well as plumping and electrical.
Old 10-03-2013, 05:48 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad M View Post
I thought a refugium was the same thing as a sump? What would the small pump at the top be used for if its a gravity fed system? Guess im looking for a few more details to better help me understand your idea.
Sump and refugium are different. Ref has sand and plants sump just has water and eq. No sand or plants.
Old 10-03-2013, 05:51 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Freak

I see so the physical setup is pretty much the same its just what you put into it will very depending if you want additional water capacity or live sand or whatever you really want to use to improve water quality.
Old 10-03-2013, 05:59 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Yes it is I have a sump/ref
Old 10-03-2013, 11:38 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Freak

Ok here is a basic plumbing until I hear back about the micro sumps. Black outlines show the 4 tanks. The orange pipes are gravity over flows. The black edged pipes have 3 valves after the split to adjust water flow to each tank and to fully shut off the water flowing into the tank which will then stop the tank from filling up and draining into the sump creating an isolated tank for hospital or quarantine reasons. Pros cons good bad thought lay it on me.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20131003_213449.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	50.6 KB
ID:	201022
Old 10-03-2013, 11:44 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice FINatic

You will have to put shutoffs on the feed also or the others will overflow.
Old 10-04-2013, 12:06 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenstreet.1 View Post
You will have to put shutoffs on the feed also or the others will overflow.
Im sorry my terminology is off a bit lol. The 3 valves are on the feed for the 3 tanks not the intakes or overflows.

My concern just now. Power outage and all the water drains down and thats allot of pipe compared to a normal sump system and I plan on running that thing full of water to get as many gallons circulating as possible. Do they have any simple ball drop valves that only allow water to flow one direction? I know they do for floor drains but those keep water down and this sytem will be pushing water up.
Old 10-04-2013, 12:18 AM   #20
Aquarium Advice FINatic

It think they do I don't remember if it's on your post or someone else's but someone post the site that care them it's a PVC company forgot the name. Now let me ask a question when you shut off the feed all that over flow water that is still flowing will you sump be able to handle it till it stops ? Cause you said you want a lot of water.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com