DIY driftwood

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fedex3d

Aquarium Advice Activist
I cut up a dead dogwood in the backyard. Boiled it and now soaking it. Going to make some nice driftwood I think. Let me know what you think ??

ForumRunner_20120906_211515.jpg

ForumRunner_20120906_211543.jpg

Thanks !! Im kinda happy with myself on the way they are turning out. Of course my wife is not too happy with them soaking in the guest bathroom tub right now !! Lol

Thanks !! I'm really proud of the way they have turned out. I'm even happier that the gouramis seem to be really enjoying swimming around them & finding all the hiding places.

I boiled them for about 8 to 10 hrs to kill everything & remove most of the tannins. Then let them soak for about a week til they sank on their own. You can do that with most hardwoods.

jetajockey said:
Looks great, nice job.

Thanks! And thanks for all the advice on setting up the substrate. Think l ended up with an almost instant cycle. Fish & plants are getting settled in wonderfully.

jetajockey said:
That's great news. I like the idea of using wood from the yard. Sometimes we overlook something great right under our noses.

Yes!! And its always nice to look at the finished product and say "hey, l did that !! " Not to mention the lfs is always proud of their driftwood when pricing it.

Back
Top Bottom