DIY Freshwater Sump

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NigelK8485

Aquarium Advice Addict
I'm about to upgrade my tank from a 150 to a 225 gallon. In the process I think I'm going to switch from the FX5 and FX6 canisters I have running currently to a sump system.

I'm sick of having to lug around the canisters and cleaning them out so I'm hoping this sump will make it simpler. I'm also having the 225 built with dual overflows so figured why not.

I am buying a 75 gallon tank to make the sump out of and would love to see any pictures or designs for freshwater sumps that any of you have.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

I know it's been done but rare threads :)

Have you tried the search function at all? Sorry, I can't think of any active threads on this.

I'm about to upgrade my tank from a 150 to a 225 gallon. In the process I think I'm going to switch from the FX5 and FX6 canisters I have running currently to a sump system.

I'm sick of having to lug around the canisters and cleaning them out so I'm hoping this sump will make it simpler. I'm also having the 225 built with dual overflows so figured why not.

I am buying a 75 gallon tank to make the sump out of and would love to see any pictures or designs for freshwater sumps that any of you have.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

50l sump for my 30l barrack.
Gravity canister filter
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1467645305.518629.jpg
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1467645324.858918.jpg
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1467645335.395750.jpg

Canister on the left, after water from sump passes all the stages it re enters container with fluidised media
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1467645346.270799.jpg
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1467645432.783899.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Here is my 29g sump, main tank is a 60 gal with ~30 mbuna

Overflow is a bean animal design coming down three 1.5" pipes.

First partition is coarse mechanical filtration
Second partition is kaldnes k1 fluidized media. I have a 15lph air pump with 2 bubble walls circulating the media
Third partition at one point was a series of bubble traps until I realized it was an eheim compact return pump actually causing the micro bubbles. It now has a pothos plant and does the fine mechanical filtration. I may try using matala mat in this partition when I need new media.

The return pump is a jebao DCT-6000 w/1" tubing

Attachments

• sump2.jpg
    sump2.jpg
    242.9 KB · Views: 196
Back
Top Bottom