DIY MH ballast

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MarineFlake

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Anyone have experience building a ballast (MH) from scratch? I mean, as in getting the components from Radio Shack kind of scratch. Anyone have some schematics?

Thanks,

Well I build stuff all of the time and can guarantee you that Radio Shack does not have this type of equipment. I have always sold industrial electrical apparatus and sold for a transformer company a few years back. To make what you are looking for would far exceed the cost of a new one. Look at your local craiglist. I some some in our area the other day 2 complete halide systems with bulbs for $50.00.

:uzi:Moderators:drain: may disagree.

I have 2 175w MH ballasts I bought from my local electrical supply store. They are Magnetek core & coil magnetic ballasts. They include a wiring diagram and it's pretty easy to follow. I assembled 2 and I have no electrical know how at all. You can also buy "f-can" Advanced ballasts which look just like a regular flourescent bulb ballast and gets wired the same way....but they cost about $90 each compared to about $30 for core & coil.
To make what you are looking for would far exceed the cost of a new one.
The ballasts cost me around $30 each, reflectors with mogul base about $30 each. I highly doubt you can buy a 2 bulb 175 MH fixture for $120.

It sounded like the poster wanted to make them from scratch. You know, engineer the system and determine how much iron to cut, figure out how many wraps to put around the iron, etc, etc.

I agree cccapt you can buy and assemble the pieces much cheaper.

http://www.atlaslightingsupply.com/MHBallast.html

Here is a site for you pc to at least get an idea about what you need.

If I'm not mistaken :)uzi:moderators may disagree) the electronic type will save you on your electric bill and more importantly heat in the fish room.

Thanks for the link, I will check it out. No I was not looking to make the transformers from scratch...thats a little much. I only meant I was looking for someone who either had plans or schematics to make one from components. I will check around these links are products mentioned.

Thanks!!

Back
Top Bottom