DIY moonlight using LED Xmas Lights

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nuwave59

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi!

I'm planning to use LED Xmas Lights to build a moonlight in my canopy. Here's a picture of me with my tank, so you can see what kind of canopy I have.

attachment.php

It came with a Hagen Geosystem 80 kit, It's 31x14x3 or something like that.

I plan drill holes in the back, and insert the LEDs in them. I can have a set of 50 lights for inside/outside (the small ones) for 10$. I was planning to drill holes for 2 rows of 15 lights each, with a distance of 1.5 inch between each light. I cover the remaining ones with black electrical tape.

What do you think about it?

I like the idea of the Christmas lights. They are cheap and you can get extras around the holidays to last a whole year in case of problems.

I was wondering if a rope light would be safer though. Water splashing on the light bulbs could be a bad thing (I work on electronic equipment and I have a thing against water and electricity)or, if you have a barrier between the lights and water, the water vapor could cause the light connections to become corroded, causing the lights to fail.

Just wondering... I tend to point out possible problem areas. Sorry, it's a habit from my job.

:fish2: :bb:

edit: nice job on the tank!

You can try going to a automotive store like a strauss or a autozone and by the blue led string light.. Less work no drilling and less to hide ;)

I like the rope light idea too! I look on the web and all I find is 30' sets :( too long! If I find something smaller I'll go with it otherwise, I'll do it with car lights :p

I like the rope light idea too! I look on the web and all I find is 30' sets :( too long! If I find something smaller I'll go with it otherwise, I'll do it with car lights :p

Walmart sells some that are shorter, but I'm not sure how short. I think they were 20' but that could be too long as well unless you looped it around a couple of times.

I like the string light idea. It may be more practical in the long run and you have a better chance of a quick replacement in case of problems.

:fish2: :bb:

Yes I just saw 18' on a xmas website. I could roll the remaining and tie them in a ball, place them in a bag or something or seal them in a ball of electrical tape, and hide it behing my stand. I could do 3 rows. They talk of 0.8 watts per foot, so I guess 7 watts or so would do a good little moonlight.

How about those blue rope of lights they sell for motorcycles? You just gotta buy the plug. Anyone know the price of the plug though? I know the lights are pretty cheap...

I really like the idea of multicolorerd xmas light. I would think indoor/outdoor would be acceptable because they should be made for snow and ice melting. Great idea!

I make these now as i just did mine yesterday.. L.E.D. 3M strips! Gonna start selling soon.. Very nice, very clean!!

Attachments

• image-3265302420.jpg
    image-3265302420.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 135
  • image-4211026406.jpg
    image-4211026406.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 151
  • image-1396000440.jpg
    image-1396000440.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 167
Thanks! Def looks nice in person pics dont do justice

You can use any pack.. They light at 6v and can go to 18v obviously being brighter with higher volts ( i use 18v) Not sure about other types of lights.. I use these and never seen these blow or fail..

Back
Top Bottom