Lights

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Swampman

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi. I have a Fluval LED light. I control with my iPhone. The Dalight setting has all these colors of light to use. I put 100% on each. But I seem to have spring algae in the tank. The lights are on for 8 hours. It is a planted tank with floating plants on top. it seems I get this algae every so often. Does the algae have anything to do with too much food? I have bottom feeders and feed them a pellet every two days. Water changes 7-10 days 25%. It is a 20 gal tank. Not crowded. Thanks.

Do you mean string algae? Not sure what spring algae is.

You will always have some algae in the tank if you have light and nutrients. All you can do is try to balance the amount of light your plants need with the amount of effort you are prepared to put in cleaning up algae.

How much algae are we talking about? I have a fluval aquasky set up similarly to you, and after a week i can see algae on the glass and probably clear it every couple of weeks.

What are your water parameters like?

You could try a “siesta” period. I run my lights 5 hours on, 4 hours off, and then 5 hours on. Seems to help.

Back
Top Bottom