DIY moonlights

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jlsardina

Aquarium Advice Addict
So I want to make moonlights for my tank, but am not entirely sure how. Any suggestions?

I just saw somewhere online where a guy took like a 2x4 and glued blue Christmas lights to it. So you would turn it upside down over the water.

I use 2 4" blue led strips sold at autopart stores. I just connect them to a 12v adapter. This is an old pic of my 10 gal

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20110918_180900.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110918_180900.jpg
    8 KB · Views: 205
  • ForumRunner_20110918_180853.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110918_180853.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 126
Great ideas. Ive also seen where someone took the blue strip lights (that go over and under cabinets) and used those. Where would I get the 12v plug to rewire for less voltage? And what's the best way to make sure it's water resistant at that point just in case. I don't want to fry my fish!

Jlsardina said:
Great ideas. Ive also seen where someone took the blue strip lights (that go over and under cabinets) and used those. Where would I get the 12v plug to rewire for less voltage? And what's the best way to make sure it's water resistant at that point just in case. I don't want to fry my fish!

I used an old wall adapter i had. If you don't have any laying around you can find it at Radio shack. Just make sure you use a 12V DC not AC.

I'm about to do some moonlight for myself. I just bought blue LEDs off eBay (£1.60 for 50 pieces, but I won't use all of them). I intend to place them on a bit of PVC, do some soldering and connect it all to 6VDC power supply that's knocking about in my place (wife has been using it to power her sewing machine). Gonna start as soon as the LEDs arrive, maybe put some pictures as well ;)

You can use that as well :)
I used LEDs, because I wanted to make sure it's the right wavelength and I can place them anyway I want, not being limited by existing cables-- and I'm not afraid of doing some soldering :D

I'm about to do some moonlight for myself. I just bought blue LEDs off eBay (£1.60 for 50 pieces, but I won't use all of them). I intend to place them on a bit of PVC, do some soldering and connect it all to 6VDC power supply that's knocking about in my place (wife has been using it to power her sewing machine). Gonna start as soon as the LEDs arrive, maybe put some pictures as well ;)

Can you do a build thread? This will be my last large project once my canopy is done. I'm planning on wiring up some raw LEDs as well with a wall adapter.

Also, I have been reading about different setups. I saw a thread (which I can't find at the moment) where people were showing off their setups. People were noting how salt setups should have a blue look while freshwater moonlight is usually clear. The had some interesting pics.

This is good too:

DIY LED Moonlight Guide

I cartainly can, I only don't know whether to do this in a separate thread (is there a point in starting another one?) so I put a bit in here-- we can always move it, right?

Back
Top Bottom