DIY Shop light mounting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tifta

Aquarium Advice Freak
It's has been a long time since Ive posted something.
I decided that I want to turn my 55 gallon tank into a planted tank, since I have too much time on my hands right now. It would be nice to get back into the aquarium again. I just went out and bought two shop lights for the tank. I was just wondering what would be the easiest way to mount them on to my tank. I am not wanting to spend a lot and don't have the building skills to build anything crazy. lol Any help or direction would be greatly appreciated!!
Tif

Well the two most simple things I can think of are building a plain box-style canopy or hanging them from the ceiling via chains. I don't know your skill level but neither are too difficult.

undo both shoplight, take everything u undid and stick them onto a sheet of plywood. make sure to coat the plywood with some kinda of sealer.

wire/wire/wire and you should be done... u can hang it with chains like the above guy say or add some legs and let it sit on top of the tank.

If you plan to have a serious planted tank I suggest returning the shop lights and getting some t5ho fixtures. Basic dual t8 shop lights will sustain and grow some plants but it will leave you yearning for more if you plan to get really serious with it.

Plus, an actual t5ho fixture that is made for an aquarium will have mounting legs so no worry about mounting it.

Tifta said:
It's has been a long time since Ive posted something.
I decided that I want to turn my 55 gallon tank into a planted tank, since I have too much time on my hands right now. It would be nice to get back into the aquarium again. I just went out and bought two shop lights for the tank. I was just wondering what would be the easiest way to mount them on to my tank. I am not wanting to spend a lot and don't have the building skills to build anything crazy. lol Any help or direction would be greatly appreciated!!
Tif

Thanks for the advice all. I got a friend to help me build a rain gutter canopy. Should be fun! I'll post pictures once I get it up and running.

the rain gutter idea is a great one. Cheap, easy, effective and you can out two of them back to back. There are lots of plants you can grow with those lights, and good tubes in the 500K to 6500K range are inexpensive (assuming T8) and available everywhere, for around $4 each.

If you plan to have a serious planted tank I suggest returning the shop lights and getting some t5ho fixtures. Basic dual t8 shop lights will sustain and grow some plants but it will leave you yearning for more if you plan to get really serious with it.

Plus, an actual t5ho fixture that is made for an aquarium will have mounting legs so no worry about mounting it.

Shop lights come in all ranges and varieties bud. For a few extra bucks you can get HO fixtures :)

Shop lights come in all ranges and varieties bud. For a few extra bucks you can get HO fixtures :)

At home depot and lowes locally the hanging shop lights are all t8's and maybe t12s. For a few extra bucks you could just get an actual aquarium fixture. :ermm:

My point was that if someone is planning to get serious about a planted tank (medium or high light) then they'll soon find the basic t8 or t12 shop light fixtures to be sub-par.

I am taking the shop lights back. Im gonna make my own fixtures. Say I was going to get some serious lighting for a serious planted tank. What bulbs would you recommend for a 55 gallon tank, for high to medium light? With out me having to pay an arm and a leg for it.

The most cost efficient option at the moment IMO is to use t5ho lights. The cheapest fixture I've found is at this link
48" T5 HO Aquarium Light Strip Hood Plant 6500K 108W | eBay

While looking around I see they also have this one, which looks promising also, it's got moonlights and a timer.
48" T5 HO Aquarium Lighting Freshwater Plant 162W Timer | eBay

I've not used these fixtures yet but my next light purchase will be one. There are much higher quality fixtures out there, but these will definitely get the job done, and have had decent reviews from what I've seen.

Also just wanted to add, if you want to totally DIY it then you'll need some basic t5ho fixtures, hydroponics shops usually have these in the sun blaze or other brands for approx $30-50 apiece. You'd still need to make a reflector for it and figure out how to mount them since they don't have mounting legs and are typically the hanging type.

that's not bad prices at all! The top one though is only two lights. would that be all i need to use or would I have to buy another strip?

The second is pretty sweet to. the second link! would i just be fine with three bulbs? or still do i need to buy two of them? Im not familiar with those types of lights

Tifta said:
The second is pretty sweet to. the second link! would i just be fine with three bulbs? or still do i need to buy two of them? Im not familiar with those types of lights

The 3bulb fixture is plenty of light, you may even have to dial it back some. Google "par vs distance" and have a look at the charts.

Thanks a lot! I think I am going to go with link 2! I would have spent almost the same amounting making a gutter diy.

Use plywood and cut holes the same size as the lights and put them in it. Or other wood for better looks

Mine should be coming by the end of this week so I'll let you know, or you can let me know how it is. Im so excited :) good deal too

Back
Top Bottom