DIY stand / canopy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

evercl92

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Tank - 30g - 30in L x 18in W x 12in H
Home-build stand / canopy

I used spray paint on the interior, and chose a lighter color for the inside of the stand - it will be dark enough in there already. Canopy interior is also spray painted, solid layer of gray/blue then sprinkled black on it.

Stain - bombay mahogany with sealant

Pictures of the stained pieces are after one coat. 2nd coat is currently drying. Next project is rigging the lighting (2 24wt T5HO with reflectors) into the canopy.

After pulling the pics from my camera, I realized I didn't have as many pics along the way as I thought.

More pics to follow in the next few days.

2nd coat applied, which really darkened it up a bit. I'm quite pleased with the turnout.

Nice job! :D

How much did it cost to build both the stand and canopy?
I just got my 1st 30g SW tank a couple of days ago and I have to build one for it also.

Supplies (paint, stain, lumber, plywood, trim, hinges, handles, magnet for door) tallied somewhere around $100.

Next step is to suspend the lighting within the canopy.

evercl92 said:
Supplies (paint, stain, lumber, plywood, trim, hinges, handles, magnet for door) tallied somewhere around $100.

Next step is to suspend the lighting within the canopy.

Wow that's great! :)
You saved yourself hundreds compared to LFS prices. I noticed that the furniture is more expensive than the tanks themselves.

Very nice job. I make my own stands and canopies also and the only suggestion I have is to paint the inside of your canopy white. Next to a reflector, white is the best color for reflecting light. That dark interior will absorb any excess light.

forgot I had this thread going. I really should add some pics...

whole setup

lighting suspension

what it looks like now

here's my male apisto

Back
Top Bottom