Red Fraggle's Tank Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

redfraggle

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I joined the forum in 2011 when I was very new to the hobby and setting up my current 20 gallon long. I've been away for a while, but thought it would be a good idea to get back into the forums to explore options and seek advice for the new tank I'm setting up.

Here's what I'm planning so far. Thoughts and comments would be much appreciated.

TANK
The tank will be 150 gallons, 72" x 18" x 29". I'm going to paint the back (probably a dark blue).

STAND
My husband will be starting on building the stand and canopy this week. We will also be reinforcing the floor. I'll post pics as we move along.

FILTRATION
So far, I've picked up 2 SunSun 304b canisters (each rated at 525GPH). I plan on using 2 trays of sponges and floss under 2 trays of Seachem Matrix in each filter. I love the idea of Biohome Ultimate, but I think that the Matrix will do a fine job at a much nicer price. My plan is to seed the filters with all the the media from my current 20 gallon and immediately move my current fish into the new tank. (I promised my husband I'd get the 20 gallon out of the kitchen...) Between the huge increase in tank size and the plants, I think this will be fine. I may throw some SafeStart in there, too. Does that seem reasonable, or am I overlooking something?

HEATERS
I have 2 Aquatop 300W heaters that I plan on converting to DIY inline heaters.

LIGHTS
I have 2 36" Finnex Planted Plus 24/7. Due to the depth of the tank, I think this will be low light, and plan to plant the tank accordingly. Does this seem right?

SUBSTRATE
Right now I'm thinking about pool filter sand. I plan on a substantial hardscape of rock and wood, covered in java fern, anubias, and low-light mosses. I would like to throw some crypts in there, too. I don't want to limit myself if in the future I decide to add more light and CO2 later. I think the sand will still work if I do. (I do want sand vs sharper substrates, because I want to get some loaches and eartheaters in there.) Thoughts/suggestions on this?

That's all for now and thanks for reading and responding. (I personally love reading tank threads, so hopefully someone can enjoy this one!)

Floor Support and Stand Progress

Here's what I managed to get done this weekend (with the help of my awesome husband, of course).

FLOOR SUPPORT
The floor joists run parallel to the wall where the tank will be, so I added some support. I glued and screwed 2 sets of 3 PT 2x8s to span 3 joists from the wall. Each of these were supported by a screw jack post mounted on a deck block, with the post under the center joist. Everything was level and plumb.
20160118_124012.jpg20160118_142344.jpg

STAND
Much bribing, including the purchase of some very nice power tools, led to the completion of the frame of the cabinet today. The face will most likely be maple.
20160118_151256.jpg20160118_151201.jpg

NEXT STEPS
While my husband finishes the cabinet (face, stain, poly), I plan to make some DIY inline heaters and collect filter media. I will also start collecting some driftwood and stone for the hardscape. I'll post updates as I move along. Thanks for reading and responding!

Back
Top Bottom