DIY sump for 90 gallon FOWLR tank.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rncarter

Aquarium Advice Freak
I currently have a eheim 2217 canister filter on my 90gal FOWLR tank. I converted this tank from a FW to SW 3 weeks ago. However, now I am thinking about getting a sump wet/dry filter. I want to hide my HOB skimmer and heater. In addition changing the filter medium in the canister was always a pain with the FW tank. I would like to take the next month to design and created a DIY sump filter. My questions in this regards are:
1. If a buy a used aquarium from craigslist what would be the ideal size for a 90 gallon tank?
2. Will this effort save me significantly less than buying a new sump filter?
3. Does anyone of DIY designes to share?

1. this is going to depend on your stand size. You will need to consider the availible footprint inside the stand as well as the size of the doors or some other alternative for getting the tank under the stand. I set my stand on top of the sump before i set up the main. In general you want a tank that is long and wide but not tall. Remember to leave room for your equpment coming out of the top of the stand like your skimmer. 40 breeder tanks make a good sump.
2. very much yes. A lot of those pre-made sumps are very expensive. All you need for a DIY is a used tank, silicone, and some glass you can get cut at a hardware store. Alll pretty cheap materials.
3. www.melevsreef.com <- have to roam around on his site but he has a ton of good info on sumps as well as a lot of different sump designs you can look at for ideas.

I also just built a sump for my 90 with a fuge/deep sand bed. You can look through my thread. http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f11/pats-90-gallon-reef-132405.html The only think i would change on mine is switch the location of the fuge and the skimmer section as discussed in the thread.

+1,very good advice from pat,I have 2 sumps due to my stand as pat said remember about removing any equipment for maintenance,I personally like sumps with deep sand and chaeto,I would consider this type if i were you

modified drawings
30310-albums1085-picture7542.html

I'll let others who know what they are talking about respond (I don't have a sump and have never had one-I'm FW) but I have a question. Why do you have the return putting water back into the sump?

Should the water from the skimmer's outlet be poured into section "A" or "B" of my diagram above? I have a Sea Clone 100 skimmer

"B" isn't really a section. It is only about and inch wide. I find that Having the thrid baffle that creates section B is unneccesary for a skimmer section. All that baffle (one farthest to the left) does make sure to take water from the top of section "A". If you leave it out then the water is taken from the bottom. In a fuge section you need the water to come from the top because you have sand or macro algea in the bottom but a skimmer section is empty besides the equipment so it doesn't matter at much. I'm not sure i'm making my self very clear but it is a little difficult to describe.

The short answer is if you leave the design exactly like you have it now the skimmer should empty into section "A"

I have 2 tank size in mind to build my new sump/fuge. I went to the LFS and both the 20L gallon and 29 gallon seems to be the most appropriate tanks for the size of my current cabinet. However, I am somewhat concerned that the 20L height is only 12 inches. compare to the 29 gallon that has height of 18 inches. Please advice

Both have their advantages. 18 inches will give you more water volume which helps to keep your parameters more stable. 12 inches will work better in your skimmer section. Skimmers usually run the best when they are sitting in 6-10 inches of water. Any deeper and they are not as effective and you have to build something for them to sit on to get the right height. Either will do in my opinion.

I am thinking I am going to use the 29 gallon tank to get the advantage of 18 inches height. Here is a drawing of the tank with the measurements.
30310-albums1085-picture7592.jpg

Back
Top Bottom