Fishtank in television

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ktbo51

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have seen pics of the fish tanks in the big console televisions and i thought they were the coolest thing!
I was wondering if anyone had done it with a smaller television. I have an old plastic television that i have "gutted" and want to put an aquarium in it. I am hoping to find a tank small enough to fit in there. It will probably be under 5 gallons, but i really want to do it. I was just wondering if there is any information on putting a tank in a smaller television.

oh by the way, i already have a 20 gallon freshwater tank, this one would jsut be for some fun!

thanks

kt

I have done 20 gal TV tanks. We had plans of a 10 gal TV tank but never got started on it and now I no longer live with the guy that I was helping make the tanks.

The biggest items when making such a tank are the following:

How to light it, we light the tanks from above so that means having a few inches clearance.

How to access the tank to clean and service it. We did this from above also. So that meant having an access port cut in the top of the console.

Supporting the weight of the water. Its less important the smaller you go with your tank but I like to consiter a weight of 10lbs or more per gal when you factor in substrate and decorations along with the 8lbs per gal of water.

I built a 2 gal tank inside a classic macintosh. To light it, I bought one of those closet lights that runs on batteries, connected it to an AC adapter and velcroed it to the top of the case. I kept 2 guppies in it, and they have had babies twice - so I assume they are happy! They got moved to the 55 gal community tank at home and now the maquarium is a nursery for the babies. This page gives fairly complete instructions that you can probably tailor to a TV aquarium.
http://www.jagshouse.com/macquarium.html

Back
Top Bottom