Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-21-2011, 09:38 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Gallons per feet...???

Hello! We are playing around with the idea of making a diy tank that would be 5x5x5 feet. Does anyone know how to convert this to gallons? Also, what tips or advice could you give on maybe things like types of glasses to use, etc. Thank you and have a good day!

Old 06-21-2011, 09:40 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to rich311k
935 gallons.

Old 06-21-2011, 10:19 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

As far as type of glass, thick, very thick
Old 06-21-2011, 10:20 PM   #4
Dividing by 0
Community Admin

POTM Champion

My concern here is that if you lack the technical ability to calculate the volume of a tank, you could be biting off a lot more than you can chew in setting up a tank that large as a DIY project. 935 gallons of water could be a huge destructive force. If this tank isn't being setup in your back yard where when it breaks it will just wash away your grass and not your walls, base boards, carpet, etc., then I would advise against it (I would probably advise against it even then).

I am not knocking the idea of learning about a DIY tank... but maybe consider starting very small as a first attempt.

Just my 2 cents...
fort384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 10:42 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to Flake
Most that do DIY that large either have it custom made out of acrylic or use rebar and concrete to make the tank and just have a viewing window.

Check out monsterfishkeepers.com for some interesting builds. You might get some good ideas.
Old 06-22-2011, 04:23 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Was that what you were thinking? Concrete and windows?

Youtube Channel: http://youtu.be/sj0bVYblrZI
andresdeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 12:27 PM   #7
Bud
Aquarium Advice Freak

Flake, thanks for that link... guess there's no chance of getting those several hours of my life back? Cool site, for sure.
Old 06-22-2011, 01:50 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

For size to gallons conversion I usually just use AqAdvisor - Intelligent Freshwater Tropical Fish Aquarium Stocking Calculator and Aquarium Tank/Filter Advisor .
Deep Seven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 02:33 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by fort384 View Post
My concern here is that if you lack the technical ability to calculate the volume of a tank, you could be biting off a lot more than you can chew in setting up a tank that large as a DIY project. 935 gallons of water could be a huge destructive force. If this tank isn't being setup in your back yard where when it breaks it will just wash away your grass and not your walls, base boards, carpet, etc., then I would advise against it (I would probably advise against it even then).

I am not knocking the idea of learning about a DIY tank... but maybe consider starting very small as a first attempt.

Just my 2 cents...
def not saying that you should just drop the idea of a 5x5x5 DIY tank, but you DEF DEF DEF need to sit down and think this completely thru...this is a HUGE diy project and shouldnt simply be jumped into...unless youre willing to commit thousands upon thousands of dollars. The one thing that i thought of was even if you were to build this tank, its 5 feet tall!! you'd have to have some insanely overpowering lights in order to support decent coral in this tank....at 5 feet deep. Ive seen people on this site struggle to provide lighting to a 3 foot tall tank.. i cant imagine what a 5 footer would take...again, not trying to completely stop you in your attempts, just shedding some light on the sheer depth of this diy build if you decide to partake in it.
Old 06-28-2011, 01:25 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via MSN to Pizentios
60x60x60/231 = 935 US gallons.

Which will weigh roughly 7797 lbs.

i hope you are building this thing on a floor that can handle it. I have seen many tanks on the internet that are made from plywood etc that are over the 500 gallon mark. Usually anything bigger is made from concrete.

there is a site that is a forum for people that like to have very large tanks: Monster Fish Keepers

Biggest thing to remember about building a DIY tank is to research research research.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com