GE Silicone..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rosinx

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi all,

Resealed my tank with the GE Silicone 1 for windows and doors. Now I've read quite a bit about this product and have heard some conflicting statements. I bought this in Canada, and it says 100% silicone on the front and has no mention of any anti-mold agents or anything related. Despite the warning not to use in aquariums on the back of the tube, I figured that since many people have done it successfully, it wouldn't be a problem. It recently came to attention that they don't mention their use of 'anti-whatever' agents in their products anymore (?), so I'm a little skeptical. The tank is still curing right now. Safe or not..

Thanks so much
john

It's fine, just let it cure for a full 48 hrs.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

How long it needs to cure, depends on how thick the bead is. Doesn't hurt to let it go an extra day or two. That silicone should be fine; I have used it. Usually, I will get the house brand from Home Hardware or Rona. Both say aquarium safe on the tube. I used to always buy the Matercraft from CTC which also said "ideal for aquariums" on the tube, but I think they no longer have it.

Back
Top Bottom