getting off an old frame

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

muddlehead

Aquarium Advice Regular
i recently got an old 55 gal from a co-worker and to say the least it is in bad shape, it has all sorts of algea that are going to need a razor blade to get off, anyways, the top framing is broken is several places along with the cross brace so i ordered a new plastic frame for it, my question is, does anybody know of a good way to get the old frame off?? it would be very upsetting if i broke my free tank trying to pry the thing off, the only way i can really think of getting it off is to cut it a bit and then break it off in small peices. so if anyone knows of a better way please help me out, thanks

they are usually siliconed on pretty well. i had success in getting the frames off my 10 gal tanks by sliding the razor under the plastic to try and separate it from the glass. it works okay, but in you case, i would bet that pulling it off in pieces is going to be the easiest. just dont pry the plastic parts against the walls, you may end up separating the wall from the front glass (etc). also, you may want to completely reseal that tank. if the plastic is any indication of the overall condition, i would reseal it. it is cheap and easy, and will probably be a lot better than the existing silicone. there are instructions on the site, if you search for them

~mike

yeah that was the plan, the silicone in the corners is looking pretty weathered so i planned on resealing it, using the razor blade on the silicone was an idea but i want sure if it would be effective but i will defenitly do that before i start prying on it

Back
Top Bottom