Glass Cleaning Problems

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

prisoner1572

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have two tanks that have mineral deposits on the glass. The one I have worked on cleaning is a tank I am rebuilding. I was able to get most of the deposits off with a razor but now I can't get what is left of the residue off. I tried soaking one piece in vinegar and another in CLR overnight and neither worked. I'm not sure how to get off the residue that is left. I've included a picture of what it looks like.

Attachments

• P1010013.jpg
    P1010013.jpg
    202.4 KB · Views: 104
I personally wouldn't use either of those products, as they are going to require a ton of washing and rinsing before they become "aquarium safe" again. I've had some luck with a produce called SAFE & EASY, but it usually requires multiple spraying and the use of a razor blade at the same time.

Vinegar is the only thing that I would feel safe using. It will require you to wash the tank very well before using again though.

The method that I use to remove mineral deposits is; take a paper towel and place in the area you want cleaned and soak it with vinegar. Keep the paper towel soaked with vinegar and let sit overnight. We do this to remove coraline buildup off acrylic overflows and other parts in the SW world. The same should work for other mineral build up.

if you have a home (beer or wine) brew supply near you there is a product called starsan (acid sanitizer) its a no rinse sanitizer that dose wonders for stone and mineral deposits.

edit>> didn't finish my thought, I would dilute according to the directions and let it soak. in this case i would rinse so that you bactera would grow on the glass. starsan is yest safe when not rinsed so it should be safe.
link

if you have a home (beer or wine) brew supply near you there is a product called starsan (acid sanitizer) its a no rinse sanitizer that dose wonders for stone and mineral deposits.

edit>> didn't finish my thought, I would dilute according to the directions and let it soak. in this case i would rinse so that you bactera would grow on the glass. starsan is yest safe when not rinsed so it should be safe.
link

if you know a dairy farmer they should have a product that does the same thing and is also a no rinse sanitizer.

The glass may be teched, in which case it is there for good. I have a couple of older tanks that have areas of the glass that will not come clean. It doesn't really affect the viewing, but it is there. If CLR or Vinegar won't remove, even with extended soaking, I would guess that you will have to live with it.

A lot of the fine film will disappear when the tank is full of water.

wouldit be posibble to get a windshield bufing kit from a auto parts store? iv seen them for taking scratches out of windshields

I have determined that the glass is etched from corrosion. I was completely surprised to learn this happens to glass when exposed to water for a long time. I was able to borrow a buffer from my uncle and rubbing compound seems to be getting most of it out. I'll let you know how much work it takes when I get done with it all.

Back
Top Bottom