Glass vs acrylic baffles

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tategrant

Aquarium Advice Freak
Obviously 1/4" glass for the baffles would be the ideal, but all the local glass shops are charging $80-90 for 4 pieces of glass. I picked up some thin 3/32" glass and a cutter from HD and I also have 1/4" acrylic at home. Would it be better to use the thin glass or thicker acrylic for the sump baffles?

I only have enough Glass to adhere two baffles with double the amount of glass

Sent from my HTC One using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Should I just double up on the first baffle and the first baffle in the bubble trap? Or the middle one of the bubble trap

The only baffles under any strain are those with different water levels on each side. On that line of thinking, potentially the first and last of the bubble trap but not the middle.

I guess an easier way of thinking about it is this; any glass glued to the bottom needs a bit more strength, and glass gapped at the bottom may be thinner.

have you thought of sandwiching glass and acrylic together , the glass would keep it from bowing as the acrylic gives it strength , you could probably adhere the 2 pieces together with silicone

I used the glass baffles because the acrylic was a bit to short and it is holding up well so far. I hope I don't bump the glass Too hard that It cracks.

Back
Top Bottom