Going to attempt my own stand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

stratmaster

Aquarium Advice Freak
I'm not the most handy guy in the world, but I want to attempt in building my own stand for my new 180 gallon! I feel pretty good about it, I guess we'll see how it comes out lol. I found this guy on a website who posted his directions on building a stand, I thought they were real good so I'm gonna follow this here:

How to Build a DIY Aquarium Stand (DIY AQUARIUM STAND PROJECTS)

Any suggestions for me?

Thanks,

Steve

Those directions sound pretty good. I don't think you can go wrong with them.

as long as you get your dimensions down. theirs nothing wrong with over building a stand. Of course id rather overbuild than under and risk the chance of it falling apart. In addition to that stand add some cross bracing to limit the front to back wiggle: especially with that size of tank

I had built a computer desk to fit 3 computers. i used 4x4's as my sub frame and added 2x4s around it.

Of course weight comes into play. im assuming you have a nice concrete pad somewhere or some nice reinforcement in your sub floor to hold this tank up

looks like a good design. If you are going to go the stud route dont use 4x4's. They are strong and can hold a lot of weight, but they are usually cut from the center of the logs and tend to warp and twist a lot over time. And that is the last thing you want to happen to your stand.

Just make sure its level and that the area that the tank sits on the stand is flat.

Plans look good to me - the wood takes the weight of the tank, not the screws. Just keep that in mind. Building it on a level floor will REALLY help out when you are trying to square everything up.

If you need 4"x4' legs go with 2 2"x2'''s .That is much stronger anyway and it won't warp or twist on you.

Good point thincat. If I could so anything different it would be to use 2x4's on the bottom instead of 2x6's. I wanted the extra height at the bottom of my stand since I was putting a 10gal at the bottom. It hasn't twisted or warped yet but I'm afraid over the years it might.

Back
Top Bottom