Homemade 72g Bowfront stand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

eyring2210

Aquarium Advice Activist
Well the journey starts. Today I got the supplies to build my stand. It won't be anything elaborate, but my goal is for it to look like a piece of real furniture. It will be build from premium select pine and 1/2 inch premium plywood, with two doors on the front and a laminated 3/4 inch pine top curved to match the tank profile(but 1 inch larger all around) with a bull nose. The finish will be "Bombay Mahogany." This is a basic idea of how it will look. More pics next weekend when I get to start building.

Attachments

• 72g stand scheme.jpg
    72g stand scheme.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 167
Lookin good. What program are you using to design that? Is that CAD or something?

Yeah, when i was taking architecture classes we were using CAD and a couple other programs to which the names i've forgotten. I liked using those programs. Pretty cool and very efficient when designing things such as these.

Great

Its really fun to do it yourself if you have the tools and knowledge, ive built a few stands myself and have always enjoyed the effort. Of course they dont always look like somthing done professionally, but they serve the purpose and if nothing else they suit me :) I would recommend a good marine grade plywood for the top where the tank actually sets, what with the potential of dampness there, and interest of long resistance to that decaying normal pine, for right under the tank only. ;)

It's going to be well waterproofed by the polyurethane finish. It will definately be nice to be able to have a stand that is set up "my way."

Back
Top Bottom