homemade canister filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You can get those screw in hooks for like bikes and then just screw them into a wall stud and it'll hang, they have some that are squared off and are in different lengths so you can find a 5inch one that'll hold it well. You don't really want anything permanent since you'll have to change media one day.

wonder if(even with the elbows) this would work better, due to the fall of gravity on the Siphon/Fill side.

you think this pump will work? I think it will

Quiet one 3000--780GPH, maximum head 10.2ft
1" inlet/1" outlet
would probably do 1 1/4" at least to the first tube then 1" between tubes, and back to aquarium.

img_1164026_0_49d5b9326c810d01aea54a987468ef4c.jpg

Unless the material is packed really tight and won't drop flat... I dont think that will work. Having the filter elements vertical would give one a better security that it won't settle ruining its purpose.

if I put the in/out on the ends, i couldn't stand it up, so I believe the 2 elbows won't hurt so much especially if i use a bigger pump, Leaning towards a quiet one 4000(1000+ GPH at 6' lift)
I have decided to get rid of the elbows in between like new pic shows:
img_1164400_0_6c1b6f9d9131053a2cc812ba25c36498.jpg

First i am an aquarium noob, but i have lots of pump experience

the water flow that you show here is not the best, to pull all three canisters under vacuum could lead to cavitation of the pump. I would place the pump so that the canisters are under pressure or if there is a concern for the pump clogging, Place it between the first and second stages.

how are these things done?

+1 with above. if you place the pump after all three filters then your pump is gunna run dry. wont have enough flow from your filters to keep up to its output.

in my pump/plumbing experience, with the "siphon" coming in at 1 1/4", I do believe I will have no problem with the pump running dry, that is the reason for the way over-size on the fill side, If I do have that problem than I will be putting the pump in front, as I have bought pre-filter 1" screen pipe, with sponge filters to go on it, the ones in the pic below, so no worries on pump clogging if I need to move it to the front, and I have decided that with the pre-filter sponge, I am only going to do 2 4" pipes, first one will still have polly fill, but only half of it, the bottom half will be Seachem Purigen, the second tube will be Eheim Substrat Pro(which is in the plastic customizable filter part of my emperor 400) and ceramic. I know it will be an expensive 4" pc of pvc with a box of each in it...LOL, but at least it will never have to be changed, only rinsed clean.

img_1164522_0_5b325ee8c9155202992ac7371169360a.jpg

img_1164522_1_5b03f3ef6b7494f0bd97cb7697526648.jpg

ok, suite your self.

the science is that every pump in the world will only have 32 net positive suction head. that is because at the suction side of the pump pulls a vacuum and atmospheric pressure will support a water column of 32 feet. the model of the pump will require a certain amount of the 32 ' head to operate (found on the pump data sheet) for argument sake the pump need 10' of head. (in reality this number is usually higher)

now we have 22' feet of head left, this gets used in two ways. if the level of the water is below the eye of the impeller we loose feet of head. If the water is above you have a flooded suction and you gain feet of head.

now, second way is every piece of plumbing will cost you feet of head due to restriction and/or frictional loss. now the plumbing number one could look them up but the bigger thing is the canisters that will change with the amount of crud.

now one you get to 0 the pump will cavitate, which is nosy banging that will destroy the pump. (near the impeller eye, gasses are pulled out of suspention and the gas bubbles collapse near the edge of the impeller sending sonic shock wave through the pump head)

so it may work, or it might not. just something to think about

link

trust me, I understand all of that, and like I said in my post, I believe 100% it will work, but if there is to much restriction, then I will move it, but I believe with the tank being 3' above the pipes and the pipes being above the pump, that the siphon/gravity fall will keep it running, but like you said, we will see. only 1 way to find out.

Back
Top Bottom