Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-06-2010, 10:13 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Regular

the filter in the link is different then what I am doing, I am going to use 3 pieces of pvc each separated and connected with 1" pipe, each filled with it's own media, so in a sense I will have 12-16" of each type of media, in it's own pipe, should be good that way, the contact time with the media will be higher this way, than up sizing the pipe.

Old 10-06-2010, 01:58 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Regular

here is a realy rough drawing.
4" pvc is about 12" long, and has caps on bottom and threaded caps on top.

Old 10-06-2010, 02:04 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to maxst2 Send a message via MSN to maxst2 Send a message via Yahoo to maxst2 Send a message via Skype™ to maxst2
So in a sense your making this:

Value Line 3 Stage Water Filter
Old 10-06-2010, 06:10 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Regular

yea, i suppose, only for an aquarium and not drinkable water.
Old 10-07-2010, 12:48 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to maxst2 Send a message via MSN to maxst2 Send a message via Yahoo to maxst2 Send a message via Skype™ to maxst2
Filter media really isn't any different: Filters: 5 micron spun poly, high holding depth sediment filter, 1 micron carbon block filter, 5 micron coconut shell granular activated carbon filter.

Only thing your design has is more flow?
Old 10-07-2010, 03:16 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxst2 View Post
Filter media really isn't any different: Filters: 5 micron spun poly, high holding depth sediment filter, 1 micron carbon block filter, 5 micron coconut shell granular activated carbon filter.

Only thing your design has is more flow?
which is the important thing, the system you shown has no pump, cost $169(pump is another $80) and has inlet/out of 3/4" which is almost impossible to do any aquarium that is over 30 gallons, the pump would run dry with only 3/4" fill and 3/4" return. Mine will cost total of $100 and with 1"-1 1/2" fill and 1" return will easily do my 75 gallon, and leaves room for a pump and/or tank upgrade in the future.
Old 10-07-2010, 01:50 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Only thing i would change would to add end caps and have your water in and outs on the ends, then you won't have the 90* turn IN the filter, but outside of it. I think that over time would mess up the media. To build it wouldnt even cost that much. Your pump is going to be the most expensive thing there. I say have some fun and see what happens. Look on craigslist for a pond pump or something, you can still adjust the flow with a ball valve as well if its too much right?
Old 10-07-2010, 01:58 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Regular

if I put the in/out on the ends, i couldn't stand it up, so I believe the 2 elbows won't hurt so much especially if i use a bigger pump, Leaning towards a quiet one 4000(1000+ GPH at 6' lift)
I have decided to get rid of the elbows in between like new pic shows:
Old 10-07-2010, 02:24 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice FINatic

ah yeah that would make more sense. How are you going to mount it? If its on a wall, then you could do the in/out on the ends...
Old 10-07-2010, 06:17 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Regular

I have some PVC Brackets that we use to hold the PVC vertically on a wall, I will put them in my stand against the backk of it, and use them to hold it up, but they will be "standing" on the bottom so in/out on top/bottom, wouldn't work.
I am currently searching our supply book for some type of PVC holder/bracket, that would allow me to do what you suggested, it is a good idea.

Tags
canister, canister filter, filter

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com