Homemade Sump question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GrndHog

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have a 25 gal cooler that I'm going to use as a sump. I'll have two lines in and a skimmer at the other end. I was not aware that I would need some kind of barrier, overflow or something that the water would be trickled in the skimmer area. In my case, what would work?

The sump is actually a 100qt igloo cooler, so I wont have any bowing when water is in there.

I'm not sure I understand your question. Here's my best shot though. I'd move the skimmer over where the inlets are. Then put up a divider between the skimmer and the rest of the sump. This will keep a constant water level for the skimmer to operate in. If the water level varies, so will the skimmer and it'll be difficult to keep it adjusted properly. If you have one of the smaller venturi skimmers, especially one that runs the air through the pump impeller, it will make a big difference. It won't affect a large skimmer as much.
You may find that you're getting a lot of micro bubbles returned to the main tank. If so, you may have to add a couple of baffles before the return pump.

Well, first off, I havent purchased my skimmer yet. I was leaning towards a kent or red sea turbo.

I didnt realize that the skimmer had to sit in its own chamber in the sump. Now that I've looked at manufactured ones on the net, I see that they are divided or split into sections. I was under the impression that a sump was one big holding tank and not divided into different sections.

If I have to split my sump (cooler) into sections, what would be a good material to use?

Ah, Logan makes a good point about the water level affecting the skimmer performance of an insump skimmer that is designed to sit in the sump. A hang on skimmer would not be affected as much by the water level.

For what its worth my sump is not sectioned off but then again i dont have a skimmer on it either.

A tall and large rubermaid container that sits within the cooler would work to segment out the skimmer section. this container would remain full while the water level in the cooler itself would fluxuate slightly with evaporation and water changes, etc.

If you cant do than then maybe you could sylicon a small glass panel to the inside plastic of the cooler.

Any extra baffles would only be needed to trap bubbles from being sent back into the tank.

plexyglass and acrylic are the most common ways. Just as long as the silicone will support the acrylic on the cooler sides. Im using a rubbermaid container just so i can have a lid on it to keep the evaporation down alittle. For my baffles im going to use smaller rubbermaid containers on the inside for the baffles. That way i will be able to put and move the containers around inside. HTH

If you're going to use a skimmer like the ones you mentioned, I don't think you'll see a lot of difference in performance as long as you're keeping the water level close to the same. These skimmers are typically run with larger pumps and they don't seem to notice the difference as much as the smaller ones do. If you go with the Berlin, I'd use a Mag 7 minimum and probably a Mag 9.5. They are good skimmers and will do you a good job. You can always add baffles later if you see the need. I like fishfreeks idea of putting the skimmer in a smaller container inside the sump...that should help with the bubbles as well.

O.K, now I have a clue of what I need to do. Is there anybody that could post pics of their homemade sumps? That would help a lot.

I'm going to go ahead and bump this in the hope of people posting pictures of their sumps.

***A little right...A little left...One Big Bump***

I am also trying to figure out the right blueprints to an effective sump. I have a good size in sump skimmer and not much room in my stand to work with. I have a 24 x 10 x 16 sump and am wondering how to segment it.... My thoughts are to have the skimmer near the main intake, then have the baffles, then the return pump....my dilemma is where should the sump return drain... If I put it before the baffles, I will recycle "clean" water, after the baffles will cause bubbles and mid baffles will cause a lot of splashing won't it? Suggestions?

Back
Top Bottom