Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-13-2019, 06:39 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmellsFishy15 View Post
Hello to the few here.

Hopefully my image files work, wondering how much weight this stand can hold. This is the first shelf, I'm out of bricks but going to add another tommorrow.

Looking to put a 10 and a 5 gal underneath, and a 48 bowfront I have on top.

Thanks.
You will raise the strength of your stand if you use the 3" side of your wood vs the 1" or 2" side. I add a cross piece on the outside of each end, connecting all the pieces being used, so that the wood doesn't move while placing the tanks on them.
As for how much weight can this hold, I have a rack that holds forty 10 gal tanks, three 25 gallon breeder tanks and one 30 gallon long tank. The entire rack is 2"x3" and concrete block. The space in between the block is enough to have four 10 gallon tanks viewing the from the side vs the front or back. You can see how the wood is set in this first incarnation of the rack. Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community - Andy Sager's Album: New Angelfish - Picture

I would not use the 1" thick wood for the 48 gal tank however, if the tank can sit on the concrete block, you can use the 1" wood laid flat in order to keep the tank off the block. I would add a layer of Styrofoam on the wood to prevent pressure cracks if the stand is not totally level. I did this with a 40 gal long and 30 gallon long. Here's that setup: Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community - Andy Sager's Album: New Angelfish - Picture

I will say this about the lesson you posted: by using 2 x 4s laid flat, you may have no issue with smaller tanks but I have used the upright 2 x 4s for tanks as large as double 100 gallon tanks. Same wood as the 10s so why rob yourself of the extra strength? You can see with my pictures that it works.

Tags
diy, diy stand, stand, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com