How to drill into the wood stand or a sump?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AoiGSR

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Japan (Ok not really) Southern California :)
How to drill into the wood stand for a sump?

I was wondering if anyone has recommendations on drilling 2 holes for the 50 gallon tank (with overflow). Will a 18V Lithium Ion Drill with a hole saw (I am told holes should be slightly larger than the the one on the acrylic tank) be adaquete? Or should I go out and get a corded drill with a hole saw for uninterrupted power? Any one have a hole size that you recommend?

Last edited:
You can't use a standard hand drill and hole saw. Glass is really ground, not cut. If you use a hand drill instead of a press, you're going to have to figure out how to hold it steady with light pressure for a while. You also need to cool the bit as you drill.

How to drill glass

We took our qt tank to every glass shop in town and not one would touch it because it was tempered. Everyone said it would break.

That is correct. You can not drill tempered glass. Most small tanks are not tempered. What size are you talking about that's tempered all around?

Here are pics and a description on how I drilled my sump.

I am confused as to whether he is drilling holes in the stand for plumbing or holes in the sump tank.

if drilling holes in the wood stand then yes an 18volt cordless drill is sufficient and i'd go with a hole saw 1/4 inch larger than the outside diameter of the pipe you are using. be sure not to drill through the structural framework of the cabinet.

if drilling the tank you could probably still use the cordless drill depending on how skilled you are with keeping it steady and straight. but if it is a glass tank you need a special glass cutting hole saw. if it's an acrylic tank a regular wood hole saw would work but as you cut and the hole saw heats up it will start to melt the shavings and gunk up the saw so go slow and clean out the saw teeth often.

i drilled through tempered glass once. just a small 1/4 inch hole in a piece 12 x 10 inches. as soon as the drill bit pierced the backside of the glass it exploded into thousands of tiny little pieces. that was a fun experiment.

Last edited:
This is a 50 gallon acrylic tank. Not glass :) My old one was glass (40 gallon). Sorry for the confusion, but I am drilling the hole into the stand. The holes on the acrylic are already done (I think they were pre done by the acrylic company that made my tank (Clarity Plus).

Last edited:
He's drilling the stand... Cordless drill, hole saw and your set.. Let the saw do the work. Once it drill bit part breaks through go at it from the other side.. the cut will be smooth as ...er...... glass :)

Last edited:
Is there a good size hole I should cut? I was told by the LFS not to drill the same diameter as the hole ("Don't make it snug") but suggested a little bit larger than the hole. Not sure what 1.75" and 1.375" is for (maximum size of the hole?)

Enclosed are the 2 holes that are on the acrylic:

main.php

drill em both at 2 .. If yo have the room it can't be too big and it leaves you some wiggle room to fine tune your connections. Stay at least an inch away from the edge, preferably farther. Or get yourself a sabre/jigsaw and just cut a square out to accommodate both. Don't over think it.. You just need room for the pipes to go thru

Back
Top Bottom