How wide is too wide?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fish_4_all

Aquarium Advice Addict
I plan to make my own tank from scratch. 35-80 gallons. I know the basics about the height of the tank, the glass sizes, the framing and all the rest but there is one looming question.
How wide/deep is too much? I want to go 18-22 inches just to have the most room I can to aquascape but will a standard pane of glass hold that kind of weight over that distance? Would it work if a support is used under the bottom wether a middle support or some kind of thick foam.
The tank would only be 14-18 inches tall and 40-60 inches long.

Is this a feasible idea or just asking for the bottom of burst when it is filled with water?

A standard 75g is ~48" long x 18" wide x 20" tall, and that is with 1/4" glass. So i don't see why special precautions need to be in place...just be careful and take your time.

The silicone will help hold the glass in place, as well as the upper and lower framing, but >1/4" glass can handle the weight. you could always add support to the stand as well if you are concerned.

Good point, as far as the frame, I plan to build a frame all the way around all edges anyway, regardless. I just like the look and I would feel more comfortable with it that way.

1/4" glass should work fine than and save a little money because I was gonna try to find a 3/8 or even 7/16 from somewhere.

Thanks.

Have you checked out garf.org's DIY tank calculator?

Old german/swiss made tanks didn't have a frame, they used glass braces like in the garf plans :)

That is something else. Here I figured 3/8 would only go to about 24x60. Never figured it would go that big.

Back
Top Bottom