insulation pad or not?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

capn_kirkl

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Just a quick opinion check....

Do I put an 1/2 inch piece of foam insulation between tank & stand or not?

Currently I have one cut so that it sits inside the bottom frame, and most of the weight will be off the outer rim of the tank in fact with the tank empty the bottom is 1/8 inch off the stand. Its a 46 gallon bowfront tank.

thanks

Not an opinion, but what is recommended by tank manufacturers.

Glass tanks should be supported along the edges. Look how a store bought stand looks that is made for a glass tank. You can use a thin strip, like weather stripping, around the bottom edge, but not foam under the entire bottom if your stand has a flat top.

Acrylic tanks should be placed on a flat surface with foam under the bottom. The flat surface of the bottom needs to be supported and the foam will help with any imperfections.

Just to strongly reiterate what cccapt said...

Do NOT put anything under a glass tank that keeps the weight off the edges. Foam as you describe seriously runs the risk of breaking the tank. I have a 46g bowfront also, and the plastic rim sits directly on the top of the flat top stand. I leveled the stand itself between the floor and the stand.

Just to reiterate or clear up, there is no need to support a glass tank that has a built-in frame (usually plastic along the top and bottom dimensions) around it and is usually not recommended by many manufacturers. If the glass tank does not have a built frame (custom tanks), same for acrylic, then a foam pad can be used; however, I would only add .25 to .5 at the very most.

Thanks for the responses, I will not be using a pad under the tank then.

take care
kirk

You should definitely place foam between the tank's plastic frame and the stand. The foam, if the compression density is correct, will eliminate any twisting force caused by a uneven stand or a floor that sags a bit over time. The twisting force is one of the main causes of sudden tank breakage or leaks. To help understand the force; imagine placing a quarter under one corner of your tank and filling it with water. The silicon seams will be under a tremendous shear force that can suddenly cause the corner joint to fail.

The poster wasn't placing the pad under the entire tank (including the rim) they were placing it under the inside of the rim trying take the weight off the rim. The answer to that is a resounding NOT RECOMMENDED BY MANUFACTURER not to mention we have a real life example here of someone who recently did just that and cracked their tank.

Ziggy's tank did not crack because it was on styrofoam.

I dont think so either, but I never saw a pic of what the foam looked like by itself especially after all the weight was on it then tank removed. I would have liked to see the impression from the tank on the foam.

There's no way anyone can say for sure what caused the tank to crack, even if you were there when it happened.

But with respect to the original poster's question - supporting a tank on the bottom glass and NOT on the frame or outside edges is a definite no-no.

I believe Ziggy's tank cracked because the stand was not built properly and the styrofoam was not able to compensate enough. I have the same tank (150G H) on a DIY stand with 1/2 high-density foam under the tank running for a couple years now. My other two tanks (75G) have 1/2" exercise foam under them. The foam must be the proper density to redistribute the force if the stand is not 100% flat. To select the proper foam you need to calculate the force per inch of frame. Even with a 150G tank on a 48" frame, the lbs/inch of frame is only about 10lbs. I cut a piece of wood trim 1" x 1" and placed it on different foams. I then added weight to the wood that matched the calculated force and noted the foam compression. I selected foam that compressed about 20%. However, I believe the root cause of Ziggy's cracked tank was that his stand had no support under the center portion of the tank. The pictures show a 1x4" frame with only a single brace at the center. My stand has a 2x6" perimeter frame with another 2x6 across the center ( view from the top of the stand looking down [|] ). I also have two braces across the 48" center span ( front view [ | | ] ). The 150G H needs the 24" center plastic frame to support the load and prevent the bottom glass plate from deflecting too far down. Plus if any of the four corners are higher, or lower, than the other three, you have additional twisting stress. His new 120G may be okay without much center support, but the bottom is under stress.

Just to strongly reiterate what cccapt said...

Do NOT put anything under a glass tank that keeps the weight off the edges. Foam as you describe seriously runs the risk of breaking the tank. I have a 46g bowfront also, and the plastic rim sits directly on the top of the flat top stand. I leveled the stand itself between the floor and the stand.

i have had foam under my glass tanks for 10+ years. no issues!!!!

Good for all you that put foam under your tanks and they didn't crack. So then are you saying that even tho glass tank manufacturers say DO NOT USE FOAM, because your tank didn't break, it's OK to do?
So who's advice should be taken? The maunfacturer who makes and warranties the tank or those who used foam and the tanks didn't crack?

what if you get a perfecto tank and perfecto stand? any foam necessary?

No I wouldnt add or try foam if the stand is level and no gaps. However if the stand is a little off then maybe. On the foam I'm talking the high density pink stuff sold in sheets last I knew.

It is just common sense to use foam under a tank. I assume you sleep on a mattress; that is the same principle as the mattress removes pressure points on your body. If the tank and stand are flat, and nothing changes over time, then it does no harm. However, any one of the six factors below causes tank stress that can be minimized or eliminated by placing foam under a tank: 1 - The four corners of the stand are not even (i.e., one corner is higher or lower than the other three). This is very difficult to check. 2 - The tank stand does not provide adequate support around the outside perimeter and center of the tank. 3 - The stand is made from wood and any part of the stand compresses or sags over time (very common with particle board stands). 4 - The stand has a sharp high point from a nail or knot in the wood that puts pressure on one spot in the tank's bottom frame. 5 - The floor that the tank sits on is wood and it sags unevenly over time. This is very common and often unnoticed as it takes months for the wooden floor joists to start to bend under constant pressure. Seasonal changes in humidity levels also causes wood floors to shift. 6 - An uneven concrete floor will cause a wooden stand to slowly bend and sag over time. So you have a choice: - use foam as an insurance policy and lessen the chance of a tank failure along with the loss of all your fish (tank manufacturers are not responsible for fish loss). I can't recall anyone on this, or other fish forums, mentioning a manufacturer's refusal to replace a tank that had foam under it unless the foam was not under the frame and pushing up on the glass. - or don't use foam, experience one or more of the above six, tank breaks-fish die and the manufacturer replaces it.

wow a simple question gets nasty.....Shame shame shame
did the setup come with foam????
no I don't think so.....kind of answers the question don't ya think

Holy smoke people...

Here's the original poster's comment:

Currently I have one cut so that it sits inside the bottom frame, and most of the weight will be off the outer rim of the tank in fact with the tank empty the bottom is 1/8 inch off the stand. Its a 46 gallon bowfront tank.

The responses about not using foam under the tank are referring to the fact that tanks should be supported AT THE EDGES. The original poster was talking about NOT supporting the edges (where the tank is designed to be supported) and supporting the bottom glass (not the frame or edges) with foam.

Back
Top Bottom