Is this a good idea for a sump drain?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Trevorjm

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I'm currently investing in a 55 gallon sump for my 210 gallon piranha aquarium. I haven't drilled anything yet because I want to be sure what I want to do. I've been thinking of doing a design for the drain that I've rarely seen. Just wondering if anyone uses this or can tell me if it will or will not work....

I want to two drains. A 3/4" and a 1". I figure if I have the pipe going straight up inside the overflow box then there is no siphoning. The 3/4 would be 2" below the water-line and taking most of the flow. The 1" would be 2" higher than the water line as backup in case the other pipe gets clogged. If the power goes off, the water level would go down until it goes below the lower pipe and stop flowing into the sump, preventing an overflow.

I will use a ball valve on the main (3/4") pipe to in case the pump isn't strong enough to handle that much water but I haven't decided on a pump yet. Depending on what pump I get, I might have to increase the size of the pipes... not sure though.

Anyone know it this idea works or if my sump is big enough?

Thanks

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom