Jerry Can Aquariums?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LS240

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I've got a few old jerry cans lying around and thought they might make cool little aquariums. I think it'd be a simple enough job to cut out the front and silicone in a piece of glass and cut the top off and rig a light inside there. My only concern though is whether there would be any danger to the inhabitants? Obviously they've carried gasoline in the past and I don't know if it's possible some has leached into the walls and may be released in the water? If so how could that be neutralized? Just torch the inside to burn anything off?

This is an oddball idea I know but I'm hoping someone has some feedback.

I would be hesitant. Also because they flex. Any seal you make is going to be dodgey at best...

Also, would you trust a used jerry can to drink out of it? That's just occasionally. fish BREATHE the water, day in, day out.

You could probably use a clear coat to spray on the inside to seal it. I really like this idea if you do it post some pictures and let me know how it turns out.

I've got a few old jerry cans lying around and thought they might make cool little aquariums. I think it'd be a simple enough job to cut out the front and silicone in a piece of glass and cut the top off and rig a light inside there. My only concern though is whether there would be any danger to the inhabitants? Obviously they've carried gasoline in the past and I don't know if it's possible some has leached into the walls and may be released in the water? If so how could that be neutralized? Just torch the inside to burn anything off?

This is an oddball idea I know but I'm hoping someone has some feedback.

Liquid pond liner should seal the cans pretty well. Now for the flexing issue I'm not sure about. I love the idea though.

Or just get new virgin jerry cans
at-least you would know they were clean
but over time they may start rusting on the inside that would be the biggest concern

Whoa! Not a good idea. I don't think you'll ever get a metal can sealed well enough to prevent it from rusting. You're going to need a very wide surface to seal/adhere the glass to and glass way over sized with sealant completely covering overlap between glass and metal, gonna be a lot of flex there. Potential leaks and flexing could damage protective seal on metal. Acrylic "glass" may not be stiff enough.
If plastic can, way to much flex of the can. Even more of a problem stiffening opening edges. Some protective sealants that will adhere to plastic will allow containments to leach through. Especially chemicals from plastic itself. Various chemical components of some plastics readily leach into water. That's why cans are labeled as to use for potable water or not. And there are some chemicals that do not necessarily make water unsafe for drinking but could be dangerous for critters living in it.

That being said, you could try one and see how a few feeder guppies do in it for a month or so.

Back
Top Bottom