Lava rock in wet dry filter?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ThrowedToad

Aquarium Advice Freak
I would like to replace my bio-balls with a different substrate. I cannot find cheap LR rubble around here and was thinking lava rock. Is this a good idea or not? Small amounts at a time of course.

I`ve never used it but I have heard others say that it leaches heavy metals into the tank. Maybe someone else can confirm that for us.

I've used lavarock rubble for a FW system int he filter, never had a problem.. works great. My LFS mentioned it works very well for SW too, due to its porous nature. however, it won't buffer the water in any way, it'll work ask a great filter media for SW too.

if its one thing ive learned in this hobby spend the money right the first time (it may be expensive but it gets worse when you have to buy something twice) trust me save up the money and bite the bullet and get what works youll be soooooo happy down the road

if its one thing ive learned in this hobby spend the money right the first time (it may be expensive but it gets worse when you have to buy something twice) trust me save up the money and bite the bullet and get what works youll be soooooo happy down the road

Lot's of things will work, and they aren't necessarily the most expensive. Personally, I would be very unhappy if I spent more than necessary. There are many alternatives to doing most things in the hobby. From what I have seen in 45 years in the hobby is that simple is usually better, and cheap is good. Kudos to those who seek alternative methods and materials, we all benefit from their discoveries.
As an example, the all glass tank was "invented" by someone who was using silicone in their work and discovered that it would hold together an aquarium. This was a local discovery and led to the formation of the first company to manufacture all glass frameless tanks. Silicone was not formulated for the purpose of making aquariums. Where would we be without it now?

Back
Top Bottom