LEd and MH question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

james_h48

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have seen in many DIY projects people using LED lights. However it appears to me that they are positioned as a large strip or on a "heat sink" a couple of inches above the water. My questions is, where do you place the MH? Do you have to move the led's everytime the MH come on, or am I simply missing something?
Thanks for the help.

LEDs just for looks can be positioned wherever you want. around the MH reflector, beside it..
if you are DIYing LED lighting, why not do all LEDs and not bother with the halides?
you can use 3 watt LEDs and they can be suspended a foot or two above the tank and still light it plenty.

MH = Metal Halide. If you mouse over any acronym with a dotted line under it, a pop-up will tell you what the acronym means.

LED's are quickly becoming a replacement for metal halides. They are vastly more efficient, produce more par, and run much cooler (I suppose something like efficiency). Most setups I've seen use metal halides with t5 or led. Generally leds are used by themselves unless they're used as moonlighting

Back
Top Bottom