LED Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Smitty

Aquarium Advice Addict
Well, I wanted to wait until I had all or at least a vast majority of my supplies in before making a post up, so here we go. I'm jumping into the LED world. I had kicked around the idea of GU10 bulbs, then doing the 20-50 watt bulbs but in the end just decided to run with 3 watt ones. I did not go with CREE for the expense, I went with Bridgelux which from what I read still isn't a bad LED. At this time I'm going with two pendents each with 36 3 watt bulbs at a ratio of 2 Blue to 1 White. For now, and it may only be for a very short time, I don't have the blue and the white separately dimmable for cost (it is around another 100-130 in order to get all the stuff I would want to dim the whites and blues separate). I do have Meanwell drivers (big ones!)

I have one pendent done and will start the second one tomorrow. It took my two days to get one done. Yes, my wiring sucks, but it works!

I ordered everything online from a Honk Kong company. I ordered on Monday and they tried to deliver it to my door on Wednesday! This was for all the LED and the drivers. I ordered the heat sinks from RapidLED because I wanted them pre-drilled and with a splash guard. The heat sinks were on back order so it took 1.5 months to get (but I knew that ahead of time, they really do have good customer service).

When turned on these things will blind you. I know. It took 10 minutes for my eyes to clear up. Won't do that again! All the "on" photos are at the lowest power setting.

img_1971633_0_7c8929f38684434c24a899ce83c22dc4.jpg

img_1971633_1_c51ceefb566c7094a0068c0e83b068a2.jpg

img_1971633_2_e987414e492f2e58f535715ee5bb128f.jpg

img_1971633_3_fe549fe9e6805136bce21afb75c751ec.jpg

img_1971633_4_f2e3aaad8779e9b24b200513fc384c70.jpg

Looks great, I'm curious, what was the total cost of the project?

The total cost at this point has been $389.00 and that includes shipping. I had a budget of 400.00.

From RapidLED (143.00 Shipped):
two 6x20 heat sinks, pre-drilled for 36 LED, with 120mm fan, hanging kit and splash guard

From AquaStyle Online (246.00 Shipped):
72 3 Watt LEDS (shiped with an extra 4 RB and extra 3 White)
2 Meanwell LPF-90D-48 Drivers
80 degree Optics (didn't count them out yet, but should be at least 72)

I did end up going to buy a new solding gun (a nicer one that goes 100w or 140w) because my 30w iron wasn't enough for soldering after I mounted the stars on the head sink. I'm not really including this though because I will use it for my other hobbies as well, plus my old iron was pretty crappy anyway!

As I stated, I will end up getting two more drivers at some point so I can separately dim the blues and whites, but that was over my budget at this time.

That's a pretty good deal, do you recommend going with the pre-drilled heatsink?

Oh I was also wondering, what are dimensions if your tank and what do you have in it?

I have 135 gallon tank and I am think about doing the same. Do you think your setup will work with a 4*6 tank?

I think it will work with the tank but you will want to make sure you have optics on all the LED because the light won't get to the bottom of a really deep tank. I think the spred will work well. Is that a 6' long tank? If so, you will want one more pendent as there won't be enough spread with only two IMO.

I will say that if you go with the heat sinks from RapidLED, don't bother with the splash guard because it won't work when you have optics on the LED.

Looks great, I wanted to go with rapid led's heatsinks as well, but I cheaped out and just bought a regular heatsink, I did make my own splash guard though, after ruining 3 emitters. I just got a 135g so I'm thinking about starting another DIY led build.

Great looking project ,im looking at lighting for a 5ftx2ftx2ft planted
so very interesting, were you thinking of adding fans for cooling as well

Great looking project ,im looking at lighting for a 5ftx2ftx2ft planted
so very interesting, were you thinking of adding fans for cooling as well

I do have a 120mm fan on each heat sink. The temp stays around 90 degrees with the fans on, but gets up much higher with them off.

Back
Top Bottom