LEDs replace reg flourecent lighting and create moonlight?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Electrobes

Aquarium Advice Addict
After some thought :idea: I was wondering if it is possible and beneficial to use regular LEDs for regular lighting... this is for a 45 gallon brackish tank with Java ferns (which need no hardcore lighting). I currently have a regular 36'' florecent on my tank, but am replacing the hood and the thought of using a couple of white LEDs to replace the old flourecent sounded good. Though not sure I think it would be cheaper in both parts and running it, it uses a lot less space, and probably doesn't run nearly as hot. The moonlights, blue LEDs could also be put in the middle with the white LEDs where it would be a bit easier to place them and stuff. what do you people think? Remember that I am not using the white LEDS for plant growth, just for tank lighting! Thanks again! :D - Heck is this works, I could even put Orange LEDs to mimick early morning :!:

There has been some experimentation with LED's for reef lighting. I think, at this point, the color temp wasn't right. It would also take quite a few of them to achieve the intensity needed. For a FW or a FO SW tank, I don't see any reason you couldn't use them.

This may sound like a semi-dumb question, but if I were to use 4 blue LEDs for moonlight, and about 5 white LEDs bulbs for the daylight... what resistors should I use on a 12 volt converter.. if that is what i should use in the first place?? Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom